Solved: LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612

Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay… First, I know I'm new here. Second, I'm genuinely curious. And third, I read the entire 18-page thread of the "LGBTQ Divers?" question. As a openly gay, married man I would love to have a place to connect with other gay men, women, and like-minded individuals to discuss dive travel opportunities, to find dive buddies without having to worry about whether or not they might have a problem with me, and to feel comfortable talking about things that might impact us.

If possible, I'd like to have a board created under Non-Geographic Clubs called:

LGBTQIA Divers and Their Friends

I have spent the past week-and-a-half searching the internet (and this board) for such clubs, and I was surprised how lacking they were. It's been six years since the original question was posted in the thread referenced above. I know if I'm interested, that there are probably many others who would be too, but they may just be afraid to ask. Many of the responses in the thread above were not very understanding of what it is like living as an LGBTQIA individual in a predominantly heteronormative global society. Having such a space is not about excluding anyone, it's about having space where we don't have to worry about being who we are and can focus on what we love - diving (among many other things).

Thanks!

On the surface of it I don't see and reason to object to this idea. Do you mind if I create a poll to get a temperature reading on how much interest there would be for such a sub-forum?

R..
I think it would be helpful if the OP (or anyone else) provided more information regarding the focus of the sub forum. Would it be restricted to certain posters? (like the opt in for the Pub, ...) Would there be special rules? Special topics?

After only thinking about it for a few short minutes, the only content I could think of would be one thread that lists places that people should NOT go to because of discrimination. I think the list would be extremely short...

Maybe a quick glance at the info for the womens perspectives forum could help to generate a forum description?

I think the majority of dive issues can be discussed in the current forums since diving mostly has nothing to do with sex (or politics). As indicated in the referenced thread, scuba divers are pretty inclusive. We have a common interest in diving that binds us together.

In order to have a useful vote, people need to understand the issue they are voting on. My current vote is abstain since I will not vote against it (or the creation of any other forum) and do not care if it does get created.

Really, the only need I could see for such a sub forum would be for issues regarding travel - where not to go, good places to stay in neutral areas, etc.

I didn't vote. But if there is enough demand for a new forum of whatever kind, why not?

I do not know about resorts or cruises but on the boats I have dove on I have seen some LGB (don't know about the T) both as pairs and singles. Some I knew were LGB, some I strongly suspected. I have never seen any obvious signs of issues. I don't think there would be any as long as somebody, Gay or straight, follows the standards of decorum. Dive boats, in my experience tend to be asexual and apolitical places. Folks just want to have fun and talk about diving, marine life, and travel.

I'm all in favor of this. If you don't like the forum, just don't go there.

Having said that, I suspect that there is not a whole lot to talk about. Most of what I post or read here on scubaboard is on the technical side of things. But there are likely a few issues that would pop up in such a forum that people might be otherwise a bit afraid to ask or share. Like, LGBT friendly resorts and operators, good LGBT themed dive clubs or trips, or just to vent over bad experiences they had, or sharing great ones.

I can understand the need for and support the creation of a sub-forum. It's clearly about getting appropriate travel advice and such, not about how a gay person should wear a BP/W, or whether safety stops should be longer because of one's orientation. IMO anyone who doesn't understand the value of this forum / safe space doesn't know many (any?) LGBTQ folks.

I didn't vote. But if there is enough demand for a new forum of whatever kind, why not?
I'm also in favor, it could be very helpful to folks who use it. Personally, I appreciate all the travel advice I get on SB

I can understand the need for and support the creation of a sub-forum. It's clearly about getting appropriate travel advice and such, not about how a gay person should wear a BP/W, or whether safety stops should be longer because of one's orientation. IMO anyone who doesn't understand the value of this forum / safe space doesn't know many (any?) LGBTQ folks.
It would be good to get the OPs feedback and input.

A while back there was a bun fight about creating a men's forum, since there was the Women's Perspective forum.

For reference here is the special rules for the Women's Perspective:
-------
Welcome to the Women's Perspectives Forum!

This is a forum where our female members are welcome to talk about ideas, concerns, and anything surrounding diving that their male counterparts - and some women as well - may not experience or care about. While participation in this forum by any of our members is not excluded, we ask that everyone recognize that this forum is a NO TROLL ZONE devoted to subjects that primarily concern female divers. As such, we ask that all participation be confined to civil discussion of the posted topics without questioning the need for the topic or forum itself.

Please note that offtopic or posts that do not conform to the spirit of this particular forum may be removed with or without notice.

If you have any questions at all about whether a post is appropriate here, please PM a member of the moderating team first and they will be happy to screen it for you.

Your cooperation is appreciated.
-----

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom