Solved: Should There Be A Forum Dedicated to Trip Reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
O

ontdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I ask the question because there are so many great trip reports that get buried in various forums. The recent contributions by @Trailboss123 and @drrich2 come to mind. I don't know about others, but with the volume of material on SB, I find that it is harder to keep track of a particular trip report and who might have posted it.

Is it feasible to have a forum dedicated to trip reports, or would it just end up being another bucket? Or perhaps this has already been hashed out and put on the back burner....

i like the idea. they could easily create a sub forum for trip reports within each travel destination forum that already exists.

i like the idea. they could easily create a sub forum for trip reports within each travel destination forum that already exists.

Yes - a sub forum makes a great deal of sense.

Except you'd still need to also browse the destination forum since not everyone would realize the subforum exists and would post on the main forum. You'd also miss followups to existing reports if you only checked the trip reports subforum.

This isn't a problem at all for most destinations since there are so few threads. Even for the popular spots is not that hard to browse back and scan the thread titles. Worst case, I just checked Cozumel and it's 17 pages of threads to cover the entire last year. More typically, 5 pages of threads to cover all the rest of Mexico for a year.

Another option is to add a Title Prefix for Trip Reports — similar to the Title Prefix tags in classifieds.

upload_2021-1-26_8-8-51.png

There is value in having the trip report in the geographic forum that it relates to. IF prefix tags were added to geographic forums, are there any others that could be useful?

What do we do when a trip report becomes a mud slinging contest where it would normally be moved to the thumbs down? Like the current Maldives COVID live aboard thread?

I would support this if it were just the trip report with no responses allowed.

What do we do when a trip report becomes a mud slinging contest where it would normally be moved to the thumbs down? Like the current Maldives COVID live aboard thread?

Hmmm. Food for thought re mud slinging. But does this happen now for a simple trip report?

If there were no responses, it might not be too appealing. The follow up comments and Q/A are often as interesting as the report itself.

Slingers will sling.

Questions to reports will add to the report itself.
But I understand.... can't have nice things with slingers around us.

The place for Trip Reports is generally in the Geographical Forum, I do like @Akimbo 's idea of tagging them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom