Level of Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD
The Fin Pivot is just the beginning of buoyancy, the idea is that it is the first stage in learning buoyancy control.

1: Fin Pivot with LP Inflator
2: Fin Pivot with breath control
3: hovering with breath control
4: hovering in Open Water
5: Neutrally Bouyant while diving

You can’t expect a student to go into a hover straight away, they must first learn the use of the LP Inflator and breath control by fin pivoting, otherwise how are they to understand the mechanics of Hovering and buoyancy, the fin pivot is a means to an end not an end in itself

detroit diver once bubbled...
don't tell me a fin pivot does either of those.

Students who are just figuring out that the LPR is not an elevator button, and who think of the BC as the only method of establishing buoyancy, finally get it when they do a fin pivot. It is a way of reducing task loading and helping them realize what power they have over their buoyancy with their lung volume alone. They finally get the equation:
BCD = Course adjustment
LUNG = Fine tune

The pin fivot does provide a controled means of experiencing the basics of buoyancy control.

The problem I see with it is that it is hard to do if your balnced perfectly. The student breaths and they tend to rise horizantaly. However, I do the fin pivot befor neutral swimming and that is where we get their weighting adjusted and work on body position. It is hardest on me because I must demonstrate it and I am weighted correctly. To Keep my fins on the bottom during demonstration I have to arch my back so far that sometimes I think it will break.

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
DD
The Fin Pivot is just the beginning of buoyancy, the idea is that it is the first stage in learning buoyancy control.

1: Fin Pivot with LP Inflator
2: Fin Pivot with breath control
3: hovering with breath control
4: hovering in Open Water
5: Neutrally Bouyant while diving

You can’t expect a student to go into a hover straight away, they must first learn the use of the LP Inflator and breath control by fin pivoting, otherwise how are they to understand the mechanics of Hovering and buoyancy, the fin pivot is a means to an end not an end in itself

Sorry, I don't buy that. Not one bit. Touching the ground in any skill teaches a student that it's okay to do that.

I hate to keep bringing up GUE, but their beta BOW class does not allow their students to touch the bottom of the pool AT ANY TIME. When they pass their class, the trim and bouyancy are dead on. If you want to see a video of a brand new GUE BOW water student in action, I'll be happy to post it here (in fact, I think I remember it posted a while back). In the background is a "Master Diver". The contrast is astounding.

Question, just what is a "fin pivot"?

I trained back in '88 so I might have missed this, or it could be the victim of my memory.

Update:

WAIT, I just figured it out. Legs out, pivot on the fin tips. Breath in and float, out and down, right?

Mike you are right it is a bastard of a skill if not correctley weighted, hence the first thing I do with students is have them spend 5 - 10 minutes at the surface testing and fine tuning there weight before even thinking of getting them underwater.

When using wetsuits I will have a DM push down the fin tips of the students with bouyant legs until they are comfortable doing the skill.

If wearing a wetsuit I will slip 1 pound weights into my booties to keep my fins down when demonstrating the skill. Legs nice and far apart to ensure they don't roll over onto their sides.

detroit diver once bubbled...

Sorry, I don't buy that. Not one bit. Touching the ground in any skill teaches a student that it's okay to do that.

I hate to keep bringing up GUE, but their beta BOW class does not allow their students to touch the bottom of the pool AT ANY TIME. When they pass their class, the trim and bouyancy are dead on. If you want to see a video of a brand new GUE BOW water student in action, I'll be happy to post it here (in fact, I think I remember it posted a while back). In the background is a "Master Diver". The contrast is astounding.

So you are telling me GUE is going to drop there BOW students into the pool having never been in Scuba Gear before in BP & Wings, and teach them all the skills they need too be competent divers without them ever touching the bottom of said pool? Well this I really have got to see !!!

How do you go through the practical of teaching buoyancy ? What just show them this is your LP inflator now get in the pool and be neutrally buoyant and DON’T TOUCH THE BOTTOM, now that is typical GUE instruction ok

Yep. That's it. (response to DSJ's post).

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...

So you are telling me GUE is going to drop there BOW students into the pool having never been in Scuba Gear before in BP & Wings, and teach them all the skills they need too be competent divers without them ever touching the bottom of said pool? Well this I really have got to see !!!

How do you go through the practical of teaching buoyancy ? What just show them this is your LP inflator now get in the pool and be neutrally buoyant and DON’T TOUCH THE BOTTOM, now that is typical GUE instruction ok

That's precisely what they do. Go out to Seattle, Washington and sign up for their class. Start thinking outside of the PADI, NAUI,SSI, etc box. It can be done better, and GUE is proving it.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
To Keep my fins on the bottom during demonstration I have to arch my back so far that sometimes I think it will break.

I just add weight before these skills. For example, I'm using weight integrated, so I add a weight belt to demonstrate the skills. I can ditch these with one hand over the side of the pool when through.

Back
Top Bottom