Let us have a ScubaBoard meet and greet. - Idea and Planning Thread!

Where should we go?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a great idea, Dave! I'd love an SB potluck meet-n-greet w/ possible dive for those that wish to dive. I'd prefer to keep it on the mainland rather than the expense of a charter boat (with limited spots) or ferry trip to Catalina. That way non-diving families/friends can join in the on-land festivities.

We done lots of beach dive/BBQs at Heisler Park in Laguna and at Vet's Park in Redondo Beach since they have great facilities and usually acceptable diving for all skill levels.

Let me know what I can do to help.

I like the idea of Heisler but I worry about the parking and because it will be winter, rain may cause a problem unless we plan ahead for pop-ups and/or tents.

I like the idea of Heisler but I worry about the parking and because it will be winter, rain may cause a problem unless we plan ahead for pop-ups and/or tents.

Parking hasn't really been an issue at any of the many past Wrinkles dive get-togethers we used to have at Heisler. Of course, as is to be expected, the early bird gets the better parking spots. :wink:

I hear you on the possibility of rain. This IS SoCal, however. I'd say it's a fairly remote possibility. I have a QuickShade/EZ-Up I can offer up, however, and I'm sure a few others do as well.

Can some out of towners come to the meet and greet also. I need an escape have been thinking Cali or FL in the next few months. I would love to dive the Kelp and the other dive sites in So Cal.

And Frank, as much as a lot of us love Marineland (and other sites at PV), a lot of divers aren't willing to make the trek. I think for this get together to be a success, we will need to do it at a place that has fairly simple access (and hopefully good conditions....though if we do it before February, I suspect we should be in good shape).

I would not be in favor of OML. It's definitely not a site for any beginner divers who might join us...or for divers with bad backs (like me) who don't want to deal with that hike!

I've never been diving in Laguna, so I can't offer an opinion on Heisler...but I know it's a lovely place for a picnic! How is the diving there?

Vets would be a decent choice too - a very accessible beach dive for all levels. I did my first few beach dives there...and I lived to tell. :D

Do check into the rules at Heisler Park regarding the tents. I'm not sure what they are, but have heard there are restrictions on Tent size, heights & locations. Also Heisler Park is a "dry" park. I know of two folks that got warning tickets for "open containers" at one event, and two others that got actual tickets at another event a few months later.

Can some out of towners come to the meet and greet also. I need an escape have been thinking Cali or FL in the next few months. I would love to dive the Kelp and the other dive sites in So Cal.

You bettcha! :D

Back
Top Bottom