Let' Hear from you Cozumel!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Doc, I'm assuming they're saying it was "like a Norte" because they were all remembering how awful Wilma was, and were just so relieved it was mild by comparison. I'm not surprised if there's a little exaggerating going on - in the direction of less strong, I mean!

suzbo:
She called at 9 am Cozumel time.

Said the worst was between 4-6 am, she thought the winds probably never got worse than 100mph, maybe even less. As Dave said, like a typical Norte, or less. Right now Christi has no power, but she says that's localized, not the whole island. She can't even see trees down or anything, her yard looks like normal. Most of her "storm video" is of her pets, so that tells you how much easier it was to endure than Wilma and Emily! She hasn't even powered up her generator, as a courtesy to her neighbors, who are still asleep... see? piece of cake! :wink:

They are worried about family and friends near Chetumal. Big problem with people there is that they did not start preparing early, as it did not initially look like it was heading for them. So they were not as well prepared or stocked up on supplies before it hit. Waiting to hear from everyone in that area.

Hi Sue, got an email from Charlotte Christi's mom....with the same info....I know they are concerned now with Mago's family....so I am praying they are ok as well...did you see the pictures on her blog of Shamu and Bandida in bondage :)) in the vacant lot

http://www.bluextseadiving.com/trips/

she said virtually no one left their boats in the water as they did during Wilma. All were drydocked, but she said some were not tied down as Shamu and Bandida were. She feels now they have the whole system down, next time the only thing they'll need to go get are the expendable supplies, water and fuel and the like. See? a "fire drill" is not a bad thing.

Unfortunately, in Chetumal, Mago's family doesn't even have flashlights, nowhere near enough time for them to prepare, so they're anxiously waiting for news from the mainland.

Is there anything we can do to help Mago's family or any of the other folks with BXTSea? We will be coming down in 10 days.

dunno yet. Let's wait and see what the outcome is once there's some news from the mainland...

suzbo:
dunno yet. Let's wait and see what the outcome is once there's some news from the mainland...

ooh look at you go girl....you are starting to be a regular poster and not a lurker:wink: you must have gotten high speed at your house:D Have you heard anything from Frances....she usually posts on the other boards:)

from Frances in the last few days... was it something I said? :confused: looks like she was online on Travelnotes a little while ago.

As to the posts: yeah, I got tired of being a Newbie, when I actually joined up on all of these msg boards a few years ago. Time to quit lurking.

and yes, you know damn well I finally got high-speed internet at my house! Before that, there was no point in spending too much time on line, everything just took too long to download, and I have waaay too short an attentions span for that!

I have to agree with Dave: winds no stronger than 50 mph with moderate rainfall.

My neighbor and I went down to the waterfront at around 8:30 this morning and there is little debris in the streets to be cleaned up. I haven't seen the whole island either, but so far, soooooooooooooo good!

Incredible! The electric company just came by and said, we've got you connected again! I asked them oabout power outages around the island, and they said only 25 to 30 % lost power...and they expect everyone to back up within the next hour or two.

I was probably not very clear when I spoke to Sue...as I previously reported before I signed off last night, we had nothing stronger than TS force winds and definitely nothing (including gusts) even reaching 100mph.

The strongest it ever got was between 4 and 6am...and still, not bad. I was out on my balcony enjoying the wind.

We spoke to Mago's family in Chetumal again a few minutes ago and they are holding up. They've had a long night fighting to keep the water out and securing doors coming loose, but they are safe. Just exhausted and terrified at times. This was their first hurricane...what an initiation! They still have heavy rain and strong winds, but of course it's passing.

We plan to get the boats back in the water this afternoon...and hopefully still have some divers arriving on Thursday/Friday :)

We made it!!!! Thanks for all the support, prayers, thoughts, good vibes, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom