Let' Hear from you Cozumel!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JillGadget:
Im arriving, I think on Sat... do you think the diving is going to suck with all the churn from the storm?

WILMA gave us churn...this was minimal. The vis will be affected for a few days, but no, the diving won't "suck." Even with lower vis than normal, I bet it's at least 100 times better than anywhere you could dive in New Jersey.

What everyone should realize, is that Wilma damaged the reefs because she sat ON TOP of us as a Cat 4 for 2 1/2 days! THAT was churn! We barely had TS force winds on this one. As Dave said, we've seen worse in February with nortes.

Now time to get to work unboarding and cleaning up! I'll check in later during a break!

Spratman:
That certainly is excellent news, Christi! Since it was mostly wind, how much do you think the bottom was stirred up?

I will hazard a guess: not much. Since Cozumel was on the north side of Dean, the storm's counterclockwise rotation made all the wind the island got come from the east. Since virtually all the dive sites are on the west side of the island, they were sheltered. The southernmost sites may have some suspended stuff in the water from wave action on the south point of the island, but I'll wager that the majority of the sites are fine. The current clears things out pretty fast, so in a couple of days things will probably be back to normal.

Christi,
Glad to hear that you all made through OK and Mago's family in Chetumal weathered the storm without injury..

Joe & Peggy

From the visible satellite view, it looks like the sun is coming out on Cozumel right about now.

Christi, Glad to hear that you are OK.

Thank the Lord our prayers for you were answered. I pray the same Lord is with the folks who have been hit harder.

I hope to be down your way in December or January.

Does anyone know if there was any flooding in Coz due to high waves? CNN showed some resort flooding further south where "Deans" eye hit.

Back
Top Bottom