Lesson Learned & MANY THANKS to my Instructor!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bull74

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know this is probally petty and boring to everyone who has been diving a while but I figured it was worth telling to help enfore diving with a Buddy and also to say Thanks to Eric G. (my instructor)
Tallatche Wall around a month ago - This was to be my first deep dive, the day was nice top water was a little rough but not too bad and temperature was not too bad around 55 if I remember right. The 3 of us headed in going to 90-95ft the visability was awesome. We started doing math problems with our instructor and I went second. 1+1, 3-1, 4-6 no problems but then it hit me...I couldn't think clearly. I let him know I wasn't thinking clear and then I started to hear a strange noise. I was free flowing. I thought to myself no problem I know what to do. I went thru the motion of signaling my to Share Air and I knew he would share his air then just turn off my air, shake it then turn it back on. Well then while I was sharing his air I hearrd a second noise; his started to free flow, OK now I was starting to crap myself. My instructor looked at me and motioned to slow down my breaths and I tried but was starting to get freaked because I couldn't think straight and I new we were both loosing air. He finally gave up and motioned for us to ascend and we did; however I was mentally gone and was ascending too fast, he dumped his
BC to compensate for me and slowed me down. It should of took us around 1min 30sec and if I remeber correctly it took us 1min and 5sec. I was nervouse for the next day but nothing happened. Thanks to Eric! We later determined that another contribing factor was my wetsuit was to tight in my chest(ebay save a dollar--never again)
Well I fell off the horse that day BUT I CLIMBED BACK ON THE NEXT WEEK...DIVING IS AWESOME!!!!!

Bull74:
I know this is probally petty and boring to everyone who has been diving a while but I figured it was worth telling to help enfore diving with a Buddy and also to say Thanks to Eric G. (my instructor)
Tallatche Wall around a month ago - This was to be my first deep dive, the day was nice top water was a little rough but not too bad and temperature was not too bad around 55 if I remember right. The 3 of us headed in going to 90-95ft the visability was awesome. We started doing math problems with our instructor and I went second. 1+1, 3-1, 4-6 no problems but then it hit me...I couldn't think clearly. I let him know I wasn't thinking clear and then I started to hear a strange noise. I was free flowing. I thought to myself no problem I know what to do. I went thru the motion of signaling my to Share Air and I knew he would share his air then just turn off my air, shake it then turn it back on. Well then while I was sharing his air I hearrd a second noise; his started to free flow, OK now I was starting to crap myself. My instructor looked at me and motioned to slow down my breaths and I tried but was starting to get freaked because I couldn't think straight and I new we were both loosing air. He finally gave up and motioned for us to ascend and we did; however I was mentally gone and was ascending too fast, he dumped his
BC to compensate for me and slowed me down. It should of took us around 1min 30sec and if I remeber correctly it took us 1min and 5sec. I was nervouse for the next day but nothing happened. Thanks to Eric! We later determined that another contribing factor was my wetsuit was to tight in my chest(ebay save a dollar--never again)
Well I fell off the horse that day BUT I CLIMBED BACK ON THE NEXT WEEK...DIVING IS AWESOME!!!!!

I don't get this at all? I have a hangover from hell right now but let me get this right...

You do your first deep dive to 90'+ and both yourself and your buddy's air starts freeflowing? It takes you 1m 5sec to ascend and you did no safety stop?

Please please tell me i'm still dreaming?:huh:

Scotty

I haven't been drinking and I'm confused as well. Glad you're ok.

Scotty g:
I don't get this at all? I have a hangover from hell right now but let me get this right...

You do your first deep dive to 90'+ and both yourself and your buddy's air starts freeflowing? It takes you 1m 5sec to ascend and you did no safety stop?

Please please tell me i'm still dreaming?:huh:

Scotty

Both free-flowing at 90fsw, like the op said should have taken 1:30 minutes,not including a SS. Depending on your psi what would you do? I doubt either of them had much air left for a SS after the ascent. Confused? Alittle vague but pretty self-explainatary to me.

Without total time of dive, it leaves open the thought that this occured upon ascent. Narc with free flow, then a controlled gear failure ascent with another freeze up free flow.. Given that, it would basically be a bounce dive where a safety stop would more or less be a courtesy, right? They are still well inside the NDL if this is at the begining of the dive. :)

Well handled reaction by the part of your instructor buddy I'd say.. some more details would help though. :D

Where was the thermocline? Did the regs stop freeflowing in shallower (warmer) water? This could have enabled something of a safety stop.

Sorry not to give all the info, We had been at 90ft for around 14 min and my air was going fast. Eric tried to fix my air but when we started sharing his air is I was starting to breath way too fast and free flowed his also. Plus on top off all of this I couldn't seem to think. I didn't mean to confuse anyone or start a long mystery I just wanted to say Thanks to Eric, throughout everyhting he kept his cool.

Bull74:
It should of took us around 1min 30sec and if I remeber correctly it took us 1min and 5sec.

BUT I CLIMBED BACK ON THE NEXT WEEK...DIVING IS AWESOME!!!!!

Sorry if my math skills are abit rusty . . but, 90 feet at 30 feet a minute . :confused: . . I get that it SHOULD of took you around 3 minutes.:no

Ken

i think under the circumstances..
you did fineand the 30 feet per min acent rate is still fairley new in the industry in the grand scheme of things

Bull74,

To end the confusion: If you narrate a dive experience including a problem you had on this forum, you will be attacked. It's part of the price of admission. And I must confess I have been guilty of making past attacks myself (hopefully few, and I have learned better restraint).

To your narrative above I say "Well done!" You and your instructor kept your heads, managed the problem as well as could be done at the time and made a safe ascent. And while a safety stop would have been very nice (provided sufficient air supply) it IS an option for recreational NDL diving. Having participated in a couple of these scenarios, I know how difficult it is to help an air-sharing diver make a slow ascent.

Continue to have fun diving safely,

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom