Leonid Meteor Shower for 2003

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Tonight's the night ... if you live in western Africa, western Europe, the northeastern United States, and eastern Canada.

Act 3: The fireball shower
Perhaps the best bet for many observers will be when Earth passes through what's called "the Filament" by Peter Jenniskens at NASA's Ames Research Center and Hans Betlem of the Dutch Meteor Society.

Act 3 could last about 24 hours -- very lengthy compared to Acts 1 and 2. The final production will be centered around 12:25 a.m. EST (5:25 GMT) on Nov. 19. This timing will highly favor western Africa and western Europe, though the northeastern United States and eastern Canada would also be rotating into a favorable position to see peak activity as well.

The Filament is a meteor stream consisting of the sum of many dust trails over many centuries, all having spread together so that individual trails are no longer recognizable.

The Filament could produce rates of about 50 per hour, or nearly one per minute, Jenniskens says, adding that the show will be "nearly like a Perseid shower, but more rich in bright meteors." In fact, Jenniskens is touting the Filament as "The Fireball Shower."

"My feeling is that the Filament should provide a pretty decent show," says Cooke. "We too [at NASA] will be watching. It's going to be an interesting year!"

Good Show NS :) I'll be out there watching too!

I'm a closet, Meade owning, astronomy geek, and never miss a celestial event.

I do prefer The Perseids, only because the come in August when it's nice and warm. I always take the day after peak activity off. Jen and I plan a night dive in a dark, remote beach and then settle in with a bottle of wine to watch the post dive show. It's something I look forward to every year.

I hope you get better conditions than we will here. There's rain and thick cloud cover forecast through Saturday. I'm going to try tonight out of pure hubris :wink: but probably won't see a thing.

Enjoy,
Scott

I've seen this shower before and it's truely awesome. You could even see the smoke trails the meteors were leaving behind.

Unfortunetely it will be cloudy in Kentucky not to mention we wouldn't see much of the shower anyway.

Thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom