Length question - 15 vs 13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeFL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I have absolutely decided I want a kayak, mostly for fishing, but also for diving. I live in Broward County. Most of my kayaking (I figure) will be in the Intercoastal locally, around Biscayne Bay sometimes, hopefully the Keys from time to time, Indian River Lagoon, and of course the Atlantic. I haven't fully decided on a specific boat yet, but am heavily leaning to Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 or 15. Not the angler model, just because I don't want the additional risk of flooding from the 'Rod Pod'.

I would love some input regarding the length issue. Benefits of 15 or 13, drawbacks, whatever advice or comments anyone can provide would be appreciated. I am 6'1", 235lbs, so not small. If that has much bearing.

Also, I am curious about Hobie Kayaks with the mirage drive. Anyone have experience with them? Recommendations, or not?

Thanks,

Joe

If you are planning on going any distance longer is better, higher speed, tracks straighter. If you are going to be in rivers and creeks with limited access shorter is better, more maneuverable.

With your size bigger is better more weight capacity will keep you drier. I am 6'4", 260 and have 2 kayaks. My first was a 12' Tarpon and I have to keep the scuppers plugged to not be sitting in water, not the safest thing to do where there are any waves. I then bought a 14' Emotion Fisherman which has a larger capacity and now I don't need the scuppers plugged and am not sitting in water, makes a much nicer day.

I wouldn't be afraid of the rod pod leaking. You keep it sealed except for the short time it takes to get what you want in or out and just use common sense to check sea conditions before opening it. My Emotion has a large hatch in the middle (12x16) and I have never had any issue.

Hobie makes a good kayak and their drive system works. There are people who love them and those who hate them. Whatever you do try before you buy.

Tim

You are hereby invited to the Kayuba meeting Monday night at UnderSeas Sports in Fort Lauderdale! The members will answer your questions and more and you'll meet some new kayak dive 'n' fish buddies. You don't have to join to come to the meeting (but you might want to after you meet us!) NOTE: the meeting is 7 not 8; the calendar is wrong.

Thanks for the info. Debby, Thanks for the invite. I will definitely think about coming to Underseas Sports Monday, depending on work. I work on elevators/construction and it's been kicking my butt the last few weeks. If not this time sometime soon for sure.

Thanks Tim, I was kinda leaning towards the 15, your post leaned me a little more. lol. I will look into options as far as trying some out before I buy... It will take a little while to save up for the purchase anyway.

Joe

If you are going to cover any distance, you will want a longer boat. Longer is faster, but harder to turn. Rudder is a good investment for several reasons, on a longer boat. "Rod Pod" on the Trident series by OK has a tight fitting hatch and straps to hold it in place in case you flip. Leak/flooding concerns unwarrented. 15 foot Trident will carry 500+lbs of gear, which if you are carrying two cyclinders, cooler, spearguns, and diver crapola, you will apprecaite the extra carrying capacity. You'll never have to worry about riding low in the water, no matter what you carry or catch. Hobie pedal drive is not for everyone. They have about 2 feet or so of draft below the boat, which makes using them in skinny water not possible. They are a somewhat complicated mechanical system, so more moving parts means more to break/go wrong. I am 6'3" so I could not get comfortable using the pedal drive because of my leg length. Some folks swear by them, so try one to see. When diving, you use ONLY your leg muscles. You legs will be a bit tired if you had to deal with any current, plus if you paddle you will get a full body work out. So pedal drive for a diver may not be the way to go, especailly on the way back after a dive. All the dealers have "demo days", so try them all out - best way to figure what works best for you. If not spearing, and don't benefit from the "rod pod/gun pod", then the newly re-designed Wilderness System Tarpon 160i is the fastest sit on top out there, with a HUGE tank well. While not built for divers, it's a real sweet dive yak that looks like divers designed it. Look at it before you decide. If spearing, and don't want to lose expensive guns (each of my guns cost more than the yak), then the rod pod is a blessing. Keeps them secure no matter what. good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Ancientdiver. Would have replied sooner, but I've been without internet for the last couple weeks. Just moved. But I do appreciate the info. I will try a demo, but its looking more and more like OK Trident 15. Now I just have to save the dough : )

I am betting that the dealer over here in Nokomis, A Silent Sports Outfitters, will give you the best price you can find anywhere. His clientelle are retirees, and they have trouble with the 65 lb weight of the 15, so he is not planning on stocking any more 15's, just 11's and 13's. He may have a 15 left, and if he does, I am pretty sure it would be worth the drive over here. Not sure about this, but he sold me mine last year for less than what people were asking for a used one. good luck. he's on the web so you can find him with google

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom