LeisurePro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH20diving:
it's easy enough to return but who wants to pay the additional shipping.

On my Ranger LTD I saved about $350.00 over what my LDS wanted.....

on my wet suit I saved about $150.00

on my Dry suit I saved about $600.00

for that kind of savings I'll cover the $15.00 shipping

BTW when I ordered an XL BC and got a small they covered the return shipping.

I have never had a problem with anything I have bought from LP. Saving money is important to me. If my local dive shop can come close to LP's prices, I will give the LDS my business, but otherwise, why pay 30-100% more???

When I was buying my equipment I split it up. If I could save big $ I ordered from LP, DD, or unrealfind. If it was not big $ I supported my LDS. Just remember, you need to build a relationship with your LDS, someday you will need them.

Whether you buy from your LDS depends mostly on how much you value the serivces they provide.

Although you can certainly buy your regulator, computer, etc. from LP, what you won't get is a someone standing behind the bench checking it out and tweaking it before sending you off into the deep blue, and someplace you can take it back to a few hours later and say "Can you make it breathe a little easier", or "Can you detune my pony bottle reg so it won't freeflow when the waves slap it".

If you bought it from LP, you would have it as it was shipped. While it would probably be pretty good, you can't take it out on a dive, come back and say "Can you do X to it?" unless you're willing to box it up and and ship it back.

When I bought my SmartCom, it had a small metal flake in the HP connector. It's not earthshaking, but would have leaked at some point, and required service. The leak might have been on an evening dive after work, or it might have been on a trip I've been planning since last year. My LDS (National Aquatic Service in Syracuse) found the flake and removed it before the computer had ever been in the water.

When ScubaPro recalled the SmartCom, they gave me a loaner to use for most of the summer while SP worked on producing replacements. LP isn't in a position to do either.

Whenever I buy something, they're happy to do whatever setup it might need (or would just be nice); adjusting a mounting bracket, finding a cool pace to add a retractor to my BC to hold the computer, or any other little thing that makes diving nicer.

That said, if you're willing to trade convienience and personal service for a discount, and don't need anybody to keep an eye on your equipment, the LP stuff is OK. A lot of it is grey market, which means they brought it in from other countries, and getting warranty service from the manufacturer may or may not be an issue depending on the manufacturer.

Personally, I like supporting my LDS because they're always there if I have a question or problem, need something adjusted, want to take a course, or go out on the boat. Although they're usually more expensive than LP, LP doesn't fill my tanks, do my annual inspections, or invite me to the Christmas party.

It is possible to cherry-pick and only buy what you want from your LDS, but since what you're really getting at your LDS (if they're good) is a place to get good advice, service your life-support equipment, and do all the other little things divers need (air fills, inspections, etc.) it pays to take care of them.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but it's my opinion, and I'm keeping it.

Terry

I am newly certified (OW June 2003, AOW Sept 2003) and I'm now considering purchase of my first set of gear. Just this morning I ordered a new Suunto Vyper wrist computer from LP. I don't have a problem ordering many things from LP but I'm concerned about the regulator, octopus, and gauges. I don't know how these things fit together, whether special tools are needed, if particular ports need be used on the first stage, if a particular tourque is required for assembly, etc.

If I buy from LP, do these things come assembled already? If not, do they come with instructions? Are there secrets to getting the assembly correct, that I should be aware of? Or, am I better off buying these items from my LDS at 100% higher prices than LP? BTW, 100% is not an estimate, it's their quoted price, after being given a discount for a package purchase.

Thanks for the help.

I have acquired most of my equipment with my instructor. I think that his knowledge/experience/consulting is worth paying more than on Internet shops like LeiSurePro.

Besides there is the issue of warranty that in Brazil is a serious thing since the gear is a lot more expensive and you expect some warranty from the manufacturer or distributer.

But I also think that gear like wetsuits, masks, fins and other equipment that you normally buy can be acquired on these shops in order to reduce the cost.

So my rule of thumb is: If the equipment is new to me go to your instructor or local authorized dive shop. If it is a replacement that doesnt require a warranty go to the internet shop.

I bought my comp and my reg online but I have VERY lousy shops locally. It all depends on the LDS's that you have around you. If they are good (service and price) I would go with them (it's always nice to be able to talk to the salesman) but since my shops are full of sh*t it was an (almost) easy decision...

Since I live in Croatia (Europe) I have to think about taxes, shipping etc. since none of this shops is "local" to me... (not even close to local)

never had a problem with LP, I usually buy at store in NY so I can try things on. They said they will match any manufactures warranty. neve had a ny problems with them.

Scubakevdm:
My friend ordered a BCD from a mail-order scuba place once... but when he opened the box it was full of angry Africanized Honey Bees instead. They stung him on the eyeballs and privates. His last words to me were "I should have gone to my LDS".

Nice analogy 

Buying form a mail order service is very tempting thing to do for a novice diver. These guys are only interested in selling the equipment, no service, no quality control no nothing. These are big companies that don’t worry in selling the wrong type of equipment to a unknowing buyer. A friend of my bought a BC from those guys at a rock bottom price instead of the LDS. It turns out that the BC had a recall on from Sherwood because of a faulty power inflator valve and at 45ft. the valve stuck open he went shooting up to the surface like cork thanks to God that he did not suffered any harm. Because he bought the BC from a web site and not from an authorized the recall didn’t applied to him and he had to pay for the replacement. Do not get fold by sites that claim to be authorized merchants the majority of respectable scuba equipment manufacturers don’t allow the selling of there equipment by authorized dealers in the web (that includes ebay) this is stipulated in their dealer agreement. In closing diving equipment are the things that keep you alive underwater if being safe means spending a few more dollars so be it. Also the your LDS will enjoy doing business with you will get professional attention the experience of the staff of the shop that will be happy to help you with any questions and the daunting task of selecting SCUBA gear and with time and if you are loyal a your LDS you may get a discount on the things that you buy.

velazques25:
Nice analogy 

Buying form a mail order service is very tempting thing to do for a novice diver. These guys are only interested in selling the equipment, no service, no quality control no nothing. These are big companies that don’t worry in selling the wrong type of equipment to a unknowing buyer. A friend of my bought a BC from those guys at a rock bottom price instead of the LDS. It turns out that the BC had a recall on from Sherwood because of a faulty power inflator valve and at 45ft. the valve stuck open he went shooting up to the surface like cork thanks to God that he did not suffered any harm. Because he bought the BC from a web site and not from an authorized the recall didn’t applied to him and he had to pay for the replacement. Do not get fold by sites that claim to be authorized merchants the majority of respectable scuba equipment manufacturers don’t allow the selling of there equipment by authorized dealers in the web (that includes ebay) this is stipulated in their dealer agreement. In closing diving equipment are the things that keep you alive underwater if being safe means spending a few more dollars so be it. Also the your LDS will enjoy doing business with you will get professional attention the experience of the staff of the shop that will be happy to help you with any questions and the daunting task of selecting SCUBA gear and with time and if you are loyal a your LDS you may get a discount on the things that you buy.

Just an ineresting point of fact to throw in along with that is that since he did not purchase from an authorized dealer not only did the recall not apply to him, and he had to fork out a bit more dough... BUT he also wasn't included in the recall data base, and therefore could not be informed of the recall before he had a very dangerous accident. This may be kind of interesting to all you DIR guys. Just, you know tryin' to help out here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom