LeisurePro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am newly certified (OW June 2003, AOW Sept 2003) and I'm now considering purchase of my first set of gear. Just this morning I ordered a new Suunto Vyper wrist computer from LP. I don't have a problem ordering many things from LP but I'm concerned about the regulator, octopus, and gauges. I don't know how these things fit together, whether special tools are needed, if particular ports need be used on the first stage, if a particular tourque is required for assembly, etc.

If I buy from LP, do these things come assembled already? If not, do they come with instructions? Are there secrets to getting the assembly correct, that I should be aware of? Or, am I better off buying these items from my LDS at 100% higher prices than LP? BTW, 100% is not an estimate, it's their quoted price, after being given a discount for a package purchase.

Thanks for the help.

i bought lp gear in the store and they will set it up for you. no idea about mail order. however, it is quite simple to attach octopus and gauges (your primary second stage will already be attached). the spg goes into a high pressure port, typically on the left of the diver. often these are marked HP on the first stage. also there are fewer of them than low pressure ports and they are a different size. you can also check the manual. there is not much you can do wrong here. the octopus attaches to a low pressure port typically on the same side as the primary reg. screw the hoses in hand tight and then tighten them just a little bit more. you don't want to damage the brass threads. piece of cake.

10X:
I am newly certified (OW June 2003, AOW Sept 2003) and I'm now considering purchase of my first set of gear. Just this morning I ordered a new Suunto Vyper wrist computer from LP. I don't have a problem ordering many things from LP but I'm concerned about the regulator, octopus, and gauges. I don't know how these things fit together, whether special tools are needed, if particular ports need be used on the first stage, if a particular tourque is required for assembly, etc.

If I buy from LP, do these things come assembled already? If not, do they come with instructions? Are there secrets to getting the assembly correct, that I should be aware of? Or, am I better off buying these items from my LDS at 100% higher prices than LP? BTW, 100% is not an estimate, it's their quoted price, after being given a discount for a package purchase.

Thanks for the help.

10X:

Thanks for the help.

Although I did not have the same questions as you have, when I bought my reg, octo, etc. from LP I asked them assemble them at no charge and they agreed.

Also, if you decide to do it yourself, it is relatively easy. Sure, there might be torque requirements, but I've used a rule that puts the connection at "just over finger tight" and it has worked for me so far.

Sean

"...your conventional weapons are useless against them"

BTW, I use LP all the time. Never had a problem.

miesemer:
Now that's funny! Reminds me of the scene in the movie Tommy Boy with the "sting crazy bees".

scubasean:
Although I did not have the same questions as you have, when I bought my reg, octo, etc. from LP I asked them assemble them at no charge and they agreed.

Also, if you decide to do it yourself, it is relatively easy. Sure, there might be torque requirements, but I've used a rule that puts the connection at "just over finger tight" and it has worked for me so far.

Sean

I brought it to my LDS and had them assemble it for me. How ironic, huh?

I bought a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins from LP. They arrived ok with no problems. Reason I chose LP is the price. These fins would have cost me $250.00 CDN plus tax. From LP I only paid $107.00 CDN including shipping. I do feel that one should support their LDS but I am not going to pay over $150.00 to do so. I don't think though that I would buy a reg from LP though. Something that important I would prefer to have a dive shop to rely in if I have any problems with it. Also if you purchase Scubapro regs, I do not believe their lifetime warranty is applicable.

I had a surprise today. I went to my LDS to pickup my mask after having bifocal lenses mounted and discussed my upcoming trip to Hawaii (17 days and counting). They asked if I bought my dive gear yet and I told them I had not. I was offered a complete dive package (except wetsuit) at prices less than I was planning on spending at LP. I bought a couple other things at reduced prices while I was at it. They will assemble the entire thing for me, give me pool time to check it out, 1st year maint. free, and reduced prices on my tanks when I buy them this summer, plus 11 free air fills on the tanks. I couldn't pass it up.

The only thing was I didn't tell them I ordered a Suunto Vyper computer from LP last week. As a result, I'm going to end up with a second computer, an Aeris Atmos 1, which was part of the package.

Does anyone use two computers, or should I sell the Aeris?

Deep techy divers typically use two computers.

I have ordered a variety of items from LP and have been very happy with everything. I have also purchased from Scubatoys.com and found them to be excellent (all their products include manufacturer's warranties and they are a 10 minutes ride from me). Both are excellent e-tailers. My local LDS has been willing to match some prices on items they carry but the LDS doesn't always carry all the brands and variety that LP and Scubatoys carry. Thus, on bigger dollar items, the e-tailers often get my money. I guess it's free trade and competition at work.

From reading this thread on LP it seem that everyone who has purchased from them has had a positive experience and others have been able to use the information from LP and other e-tailers to reach favorable and fair pricing agreements with their LDS. Seems like a good thing to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom