LeisurePro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WebFoot:
I'm new to the board as well, so will you please excuse my ignorance when I ask why you think this would be a troll? I haven't ordered any scuba gear online yet, but will be doing so shortly. I understand that we need to support our hobby by supporting our LDS's, but I think most LDS's factor a little too much support into their prices.

James

Ya, what RJ said.

As you can probably see by now LP (LeisurePro) is a hot topic. A topic many will bring up just to start a heated debate (hence the troll).

As for the LP and LDS (Local Dive Shop)debate. It is usually prudent to use a combination of resources to accomplish any goal. I personally use all resources available to find the best price/service/knowledge/value. I have had good luck with LP, I would not be afraid to use them.

Scott

I've bought thousands of $ worth of gear through LP, they are great and you will never regret it.

Sean326:
I've bought thousands of $ worth of gear through LP, they are great and you will never regret it.

ditto, except that I won't guarantee to anyone that they won't regret something...To me, LP is a great option for gear purchase....and I've used them a few times.

I've also used my LDS, and love the attention and the ability for me to get a proper fit for the things that need fitting, at the LDS.

Good Luck!

Try www.divesports.com if you want LP prices on most things but also want to support an LDS. They will usually match LP prices on many items and it's a LDS in Alabama.

And no I don't work for them but I am a satisfied customer.

Harbour

Scubakevdm:
My friend ordered a BCD from a mail-order scuba place once... but when he opened the box it was full of angry Africanized Honey Bees instead. They stung him on the eyeballs and privates. His last words to me were "I should have gone to my LDS".

Now that's funny! Reminds me of the scene in the movie Tommy Boy with the "sting crazy bees".

Scubakevdm:
My friend ordered a BCD from a mail-order scuba place once... but when he opened the box it was full of angry Africanized Honey Bees instead. They stung him on the eyeballs and privates. His last words to me were "I should have gone to my LDS".
Yeah, the LDS bees would have just stung his wallet.

LP does stand behind what they sell. However, they are not an authorized dealer for most of what they sell. This is so even though they may buy some of their inventory directly from manufacturers. With some items like Scubapro, I doubt that they can give you the free parts warranty, so take that into account in your total cost. (OTOH, some gear, like Oceanic regulators, has a short factory warranty to start with so you probably come out ahead at LP.) Shop around, some items like lights are sold at lower prices through places that specialize in flashlights. Note that LP sells through Ebay at prices that exceed their normal prices. The minimum bid is their regular catalog price, the buy it now price is a bit higher.

I'm new to this board but am very glad to find this thread...I have had the same debate of LDS vs. LP I did as someone suggested above I priced the equipment that I wanted in multiple locations and then went to my LDS I asked him if I purchased through them if they were willing to compete with other prices. Honestly on some items they just could not some close because of not having a relationship with the dealer on others they matched LP but over all they were glad to have the chance to keep my business. I am willing to pay a little more but not double to help support my local dive shop. Where would we be without them. So far everything we have ordered from LP has been great and as described, same as from my LDS.

I bought my regulator, BC and computer from a LDS that gave me prices very close to LP prices. I also bought my fins, mask and snorkel from a LDS at vastly inflated prices, and in retrospect I should have gotten those from LP (although I would have visited their store -- not possible for everyone -- to check fit).

While LP have an apparently effective store warranty, I just feel more comfortable getting my reg, BC and computer from an authorized dealer so that I can have them repaired in any part of the world if required. I carry all my warranty information with me on dive trips. And since my LDS gave me competitive prices, I felt no need to take on the added risk of an unauthorized dealer. But for all other products, I would approach LP or another online dealer without hesitation.

I bought all of my new gear at LP. You can beat their price and service! Period. I go to my LDS for accessories, gear service, air fills and rentals, but I can't justify paying a 50-100% markup just to sponsor my shop. The LDS and manufacturer will try to scare you off with the argument that there is no manufacturers warranty, but it is all hype, as far as I am concerned. I hope that'll be a lesson to the manufacturers to drop their US pricing policies. I don't care when the gear comes from - a ScubaPro reg is a ScubaPro reg. And besides, do you know what route your margarine took before it hit the grocery store shelf? I guess not. I am a consumer and we shop usually for the best price and quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom