LeisurePro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkmaven:
Liesure Pro sells the same new gear as everyone else but they cannot get certain lines of gear because some companies practice "fair trade" or "price fixing". Both are illegal in the U.S.

I don't believe you're quite accurate here. Price Fixing, where 2 (as in, more than 1) cometiting companies collude to set prices, is illegal. That's not what's happening here

What many dive equipment manufacturers (ScubaPro being the most well-publicized, but most leading equip vendors are the same) do is say, "If you sell below our MSRP (or more than x% below), we reserve the right not to sell to you". It does not mean they won't, or that they can't let you do it. However, if someone were to prove that they let dealer X do it, but not dealer Y, with all else being equal, then dealer Y could probably bring a successful suit. Good luck - that "all else being equal" is going to be tough to prove.

This is perfectly legal, though it makes them a bunch right @#$%s for doing so. It isn't the customer who will suffer, but the dealer, if they can no longer offer the equipment...

Most internet or mail order dive shops are somebodies LDS. Scuba gear as with other things have discover strength in volume. Sure they can't offer on the spot advice and help like your LDS but they usually do a good job with customer service. Unfortunatly Like Wal Mart they are driving out the little guy. You may see in the near future small local outlets of the big warehouse stores were you can get volume prices and personal service but until then LSD's are going to have to offer great service and reasonable prices to survive.

stevsgarage:
You may see in the near future small local outlets of the big warehouse stores were you can get volume prices and personal service.

That would be one of the most welcome changes in the SCUBA industry I can imagine.

Leisurepro needs to start expanding.

I'd rather see ScubaToys or Scuba.com expand - valid retailers of SP, Suunto, etc... Plus they actually seem to know which end of a regulator to put in their mouth...

I recently bought something from LP. It was defective. They took it back and gave me a refund, no questions asked. However, you will not get a refund for shipping in either direction.

gj62:
I'd rather see ScubaToys or Scuba.com expand - valid retailers of SP, Suunto, etc... Plus they actually seem to know which end of a regulator to put in their mouth...

if you look at scubatoys.com they are about to move to a larger store.

if a LDS like scubatoys in dallas can sell the Zeagle Ranger for 449 (and are willing to sell it for 389.95) why can't other LDS wake up and start selling their gear cheaper. I'm not going to spend 800 on the same BC from a LDS in Austin.

You think there is a slight mark-up on these products........anyone really know what they pay for gear?

I worked for a 3-shop chain in CA - a markup of 100% was not uncommon on most items. However, I know of several instances where the shop bought very large quantities of certain gear and received very large discounts. Of course, there were some things that were sold for just over cost - tanks, at that time, and some other gear. That's what you saw in ads and brought people in the store...

firedogut:
You think there is a slight mark-up on these products........anyone really know what they pay for gear?

Why stop at the Scuba industry. How much mark-up do you think you're paying on your groceries, beer, clothing, sneakers, etc. What profit margin do you think is fair for these products or for the product or service you provide in your chosen career field?

Before I get flamed for being an LDS owner...
I work in the environmental industry for a company that manufacturers groundwater remediation equipment. Our industry is having a very hard time surviving due to our profit margins being driven down to a point where we're barely making it. Many of the well know companies in our industry have gone belly up and the ones that are still around are operating on 50% of the workforce they had 5 years ago. Competing solely on price is killing our industry, product quality and customer service.

100% market is nothing in the scuba industry; I've personally seen 300% mark-up on essential items (and I'm not talking about cheapo stuff like mask defogger), which is profiteering, plain and simple.

miesemer:
Why stop at the Scuba industry. How much mark-up do you think you're paying on your groceries, beer, clothing, sneakers, etc. What profit margin do you think is fair for these products or for the product or service you provide in your chosen career field?

Before I get flamed for being an LDS owner...
I work in the environmental industry for a company that manufacturers groundwater remediation equipment. Our industry is having a very hard time surviving due to our profit margins being driven down to a point where we're barely making it. Many of the well know companies in our industry have gone belly up and the ones that are still around are operating on 50% of the workforce they had 5 years ago. Competing solely on price is killing our industry, product quality and customer service.

I think the only people complaining about the low profit margins in the SCUBA industry are the local dive shops and manufacturers.

Actual divers have a tremendous amount of high quality options for gear at very low prices.

The LDS is dying and I think it's very welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom