leisurepro warranty: scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
I had a friend who was going to buy his regulator online once. But he stopped at an LDS and talked prices and the LDS matched the online shop's price. So my friend bought local. The LDS didn't make his normal profit but he now has a reliable customer. This is one of those LDS's that tells you whether he can compete on price, shows no hard feelings when he can't, and doesn't try to coerce the sale.

So which story do you think is more believable?

Are you saying you don't believe me?

gj62:
I'm in an admittedly thin area as far as LDS' go, but I have talked to 3 who stock SP equip. None will get close to the LP online price (MK25/S600) of $385. I travel to Miami alot, and even there the cheapest they've been willing to go is $475, and that's only if I bought 2! That's over $200 (if you figure in the tax I'll pay at the LDS). I can get alot of parts for that...

Granted, www.rip_off_scuba.com isn't your best bet, but you have to decide when and where you will take your chances...

They cannot come close because SP will pull their dealership if they depart from SP's pricing. As Awappoints out though, many dealers will try to competative somehow. We offer free dive trips, or maintenance packages or do whatever we can to try to make up the difference without breaking SP's pricing guidelines. You really don't believe me about the flesh eating elf?

Scubakevdm:
They cannot come close because SP will pull their dealership if they depart from SP's pricing.

SP only knows their advertised price, right?

At least when I worked at a shop (ok, it was a *long* time ago), SP had the policy regarding ads and such, but once you got to the register, it was up to the shop...

gj62:
SP only knows their advertised price, right?

At least when I worked at a shop (ok, it was a *long* time ago), SP had the policy regarding ads and such, but once you got to the register, it was up to the shop...

Yeah, now I don't know if SP has like a mystery shopper thing going or what, but I do know that they just yanked three dealerships for selling key-man stuff. I don't know how they get their intel, or anything. Like I said we just try to be competetive without breaking the rules.

SP dealers could give their customers a break if they wanted to. I don't think the customer is going to complain to SP that they saved money. The LDS can find some way to help save the customer money, but they don't seem to want to. A lot of shops seem to fall back on the SP pricing scheme as a way to justify their lack of competitive pricing. The whole issue of SP being able to dictate prices is insane.

Stick to online buying.

Scubakevdm:
Are you saying you don't believe me?

I was with you until you said he made it back to the boat. The correct version must support the moral "You buy on the internet, you die on the internet". At least that is the story at some shops.

I'm really l00king forward to the version about the online p-valve purchase.

ElectricZombie:
SP dealers could give their customers a break if they wanted to. I don't think the customer is going to complain to SP that they saved money. The LDS can find some way to help save the customer money, but they don't seem to want to. A lot of shops seem to fall back on the SP pricing scheme as a way to justify their lack of competitive pricing. The whole issue of SP being able to dictate prices is insane.

Stick to online buying.

Some of us are just doomed to always follow the rules I guess. Anyway, we do what we can to compete, it is after all the customer that decides where he purchases something right. I mean scuba divers are generally intelligent folks, at least we think so. We think that the guy is going to buy the thing wherever he gets the best deal. We try to make the best deal here.

According to ScubaPro you can't sell any of their current product for more than 10% off of MSRP. ScubaPro is not scared to pull a dealers license either. They have done several before, and are not scared to do it again.

glimmerel:
I am considering buying a scubapro regulator, the MK25 S550, from leisurepro. Has anyone had to use the leisure pro warranty for a scubapro part/product? If so, what was your experience?

My LDS has the same product for about $150 more that than the lp price. I have purchased other stuff from LP but have not had any problems. Most places, whether LDS or online, are usually fine for purchasing but I want to know whether LP really honors the Scubapro warranty (I mean by LP's own warranty that says it will match the manufacturer's).

Thanks!

Typically grey market "dealers" sort it out however they feel is best.

This may bear no resemblance to the manufacturers warranty. A grey-market dealer may fix your reg, they may replace it (even with a 2nd hand one) or they may try to screw you. It's their choice and that's the main risk you run if you buy online.

Having said that I don't hear too many horror stories about leisure pro in particular.

R..

lairdb:
It may be a waste of money, but by the letter of the warranty it's required, and if you miss by even a day, you're out-of-warranty and can't get back in. Ever.

Absolutely not true at all. Ever. If you heard this from an SP dealer he is either really ignorant or lying to you. Either way, find another SP dealer.

Scubapro does not track the warranty histories on individual regs. They leave that up to the dealer. The dealer fills out a four copy slip about the reg indicating the service date and parts replaced. One copy goes to SP so they will send the dealer replacements for the parts kits used, another goes with the customer to show to any other dealer they may take the reg to for service next year, one goes in the dealer file and the last one goes in a tickler file to be mailed to the customer 11 months later to remind them the service is due.

If the customer goes 13 months it's really no big deal, the dealer can still do the annual service under warranty. The dealer has a LOT of discretion in this area. Frankly, a good customer could probably skip a year and a smart dealer would do the service under warranty to keep the customer happy and spending money. As I said before SP does not track individual regs, it's just that dealers are normally careful not to abuse the warranty program.

Now if you take several years off you can STILL reinstate the warranty. All you have to show is that you were the original owner and that you bought the reg from an authorized SP dealer. This can be demonstrated if you have the warranty card, by having the dealer check with the the shop where you bought it or where it was last serviced under warranty. Or the dealer can check the system as the warranty should have been activated by the dealer who sold the reg (this is now done on-line as warranties often did not get sent in - make sure the delaer does it for you while you wait when you buy the reg.) The customer copy of the last (or any prior) service ticket will also work to show you are the original owner and bought it from a dealer.

In any case, once that is established the customer will need to pay for parts for that one service but the warranty will then be reinstated and the dealer will issue the customer another service slip which is then proof that the reg is under warranty when it is serviced next year.

Back
Top Bottom