Leisure Pro warranty policy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to be boring, but if you are looking for ecommerce best practice, I'd look at Amazon.

You have got to be kidding. Unless you enter unique keywords Amazon typically gives you hundreds of results on many pages with seemingly irrelevant items at the top. Furthermore, you have no way to drill down within the results or even control items per page. Item pages do contain tons of info, mostly long scrolling pages of clutter trying to read your mind and suggest related products, promoting their baby registry or wedding registry or wish list, asking you to rate the product, etc.

If LP tried to display all that data you would feel like you're using a 2400 baud modem. Amazon has huge server farms and I think the page response you mention has more to do with the back end infrastructure than the front end design.

LP site is way more user friendly, allows you to control number of items per page or All, enlarges the picture when you hover over it (Ebay does it too, Amazon does not), and allows you to drill down further based on checkboxes for brand or style. The item detail pages provide tabbed access that minimizes page scrolling. I find a simple click to be less of a hassle than constant scrolling.

I agree. The LP web site is one of the better ones for retail scuba. I like to do my shopping there. But I tend to do my buying from retailer that will sell me the repair parts I want.

So... if it isn't stated explicitly ("we'll replace with an equal or better model"), what does a normal manufacturer's warranty require or imply when a product -- still within warranty -- isn't available any more and can't be repaired?

The warranty requires repair, but it also requires an actual defect.

There was nothing wrong with the OP's computer. He got a case of "Buyers Remorse" when he discovered that other people had problems with battery life.

"Can't be repaired" while still under warranty isn't a realistic situation, since the warranty is only a year, and all manufacturers keep repair parts on hand for at least a year after production stops.

Terry

I agree. The LP web site is one of the better ones for retail scuba. I like to do my shopping there. But I tend to do my buying from retailer that will sell me the repair parts I want.

I'm pretty much willing to bet in this sue happy society, that if you were a retailer and had access to the parts, you would sell them to Joe Bob who popped in off the street and wanted to repair his own equipment. Get real.

I'm pretty much willing to bet in this sue happy society, that if you were a retailer and had access to the parts, you would sell them to Joe Bob who popped in off the street and wanted to repair his own equipment. Get real.

You mean like auto parts stores do?

Or like Oxygen bottles and fittings and such? I'd bet I can even buy LP and acetylene handling parts and fittings. :D

Or like do it yourself surgery kits complete with instructions I sell you and something goes wrong with your wife's surgery you performed, you wouldn't sue. I am sure Reefhound advises open water students to service their own gear. Get real folks.

There was nothing wrong with the OP's computer. He got a case of "Buyers Remorse" when he discovered that other people had problems with battery life.
I took Scott's word for it later in Post #35 that his "computer wasn't working properly."

But I was asking in general. Assuming the computer couldn't be repaired economically, or that there might indeed have been a design flaw that ate batteries, what would the manufacturer's responsibility be under the warranty? I wouldn't think they'd have to upgrade -- would they? But the only other choice would be to refund the buyer's money? Or give a credit?

In this particular case, I don't think LP was obliged to offer a free upgrade, no matter what ScubaPro was doing to do right by their (authorized) customers.

By the same token, I think LP and Brett did the right thing by their customer.

--Marek

Yep, that is the excuse they use. Yet two of their major internet competitors (scubatoys and dive sports) make no such excuses. And there are even a few mfgrs who have changed their story and support the selling of parts to divers. And, more and more, LDSs have seen the light and are selling repair parts rather than letting the business go elsewhere. That is real. Perhaps you need to catch up as does LP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom