Leisure Diving in the Navy or any military branch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLuuke

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently thinking about joining the Navy in the next year or so when I complete college to help pay off some student loans. I am aware that you have a certain amount of leave days per year. But I am also wondering how much of a chance do you have to do some recreational diving, if any? In other words will there still be a possibility for me to participate in activities that enjoy now such as scuba diving. I could ask a recruiter but who knows that kind fo response I will get. Let me know if anyone out there has thought of any concerns like this?
ScubaLuuke

That all depends on where you are stationed and what kind of job related duty you have, of course those 30 days a year paid vacation will be great to go diving anywhere!!

Yea it does really depend on where you are stationed. Are you a part of the military. If so what branch, if you do not mind me asking. I am just a little curious and hoping to get some ideas. For instance you were stationed somewhere near good diving, let's say Hawaii, would you have the chance to go out on your own maybe on weekends? Might sound like a dumb question but again I am just looking for some feedback!Thanks
ScubaLuuke

More often than not, you'll get a chance to dive more than you'll want to.
While I was serving the in Marines, I could dive on weekends at least 7 months out of the year and I was going on deployments all the time. (served out of Camp Pendleton)

It's all up to you. Since it's the Navy, chances are pretty damn good you'll be near water :) Now, if you're on a ship, and that ship is on a 6 month trip into the Pacific or the Atlantic, then you'll probably have to rent gear whereever.....BUT, by all means, you'll be able to do that since you can't really spend that much money floating around in the Ocean. :) Hell, you could have the dream logbook if you set your goals to dive at each port instead of going out to drink and "other" things that tend to happen.

I'm also in Hawaii on Shore Duty... but my wife doesn't let me dive as much as I like). My last 2 WESTPACs I was able to ferret away some gear on the submarine (I had everything but my wet suit). It was kinda tough to dry the gear off however (I did bring along some 'Sink the Stink' which help).

Check out the MWR facilities at bases you might be stationed at. MWR is Morale Welfare and Recreation. most bases have it. Many bases near water will have something set up to support scuba for the troops that serve on that base.

some might even have a compressor, etc. just depends on the base and what they have. There might be a small fee to join or use the gear, but it'll be less than what you can get it for in town. Also see if the base has a dive club. many do.

fishb0y:
I'm also in Hawaii on Shore Duty... but my wife doesn't let me dive as much as I like). My last 2 WESTPACs I was able to ferret away some gear on the submarine (I had everything but my wet suit). It was kinda tough to dry the gear off however (I did bring along some 'Sink the Stink' which help).

I'll bet you were really popular:

CO: "Hey what stinks around here!?"

You: "Ummm yeah. . . we must be going past farm . . . "

Terry

Plenty of time to dive in the military. I'm in the navy and have been in the military since 1992. I get plenty of time to dive. Been stationed in Flordia, Guam, San Diego, Bahrain, Africa, and Monterey to name a few places. there is no way I'd get to dive as often or as many awesome places if I wasn't Navy. My leave time takes me to the Great Barrier Reef, the caribean , S. Pacific, Mexico and many other exotic places, because I'm stationed close by.
See the world!
john

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom