Leisure Diving in the Navy or any military branch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome, I am not currently in the miliatry but will most likey be with the navy in a year or two. If you don't mind me asking, Jarhead, what is your specific field in the navy?

My son is in the Navy and is stationed on the USS Enterprise. While they were on deployment, he had opportunities to dive in several locations in Malasia and the mid east. Except he had lost his c-card before they deployed and didn't ask about getting a replacement!

Ahh thats a bummer, some places like Malaysia aren't to worried about having the C card for verification. They might make you do some demostrations or answer some broad dive questions. This happened to a buddy of mine in Australia and they made him do some basic skills to proof his competency. But that is awesome experience for your son, and good news for me! Thanks

I got my certification through the post MWR while I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA.

jarhed:
I'm an Oceanographer, Started in the Marine Corps as a jet mechanic, got a comission in the Navy from USNA, then a tour on destroyer until becoming an Oceanographer.
Are you at the Presidio? My son is stationed there now. Defense Foreign Language school. Studying chinese. He's Air Force.

Good to see this thread.... I'm trying to get into Marines OCS this summer, and I was kind of wondering about diving opportunities if i get commissioned.

WHAT ??? Cant believe a recruiter??? What is this world coming to????????

I wish I was a diver when in the military (Coast Guard), I missed out on alot of great diving opportunities, from travel and duty stations, many places I probably will never get back to. I would have had plenty of time to dive.

The 30 days leave is great, took me 10 years at my next job to get that much vacation time back.

I miss it still, a great 6 years of my life, being a diver would have made it all that much better.

-Garrett

Back
Top Bottom