Left the first stage cap off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itsjustme0770

Contributor
Reaction score
Boy do I feel stupid. Finishing up the last dive of the week and dropped my reg in the rinse tank without capping the first stage. Realized it once I pulled it out of the rinse tank.

I dried it off as best I could, ran compressed air through it.

Is a rebuild something that needs to be done? Just had it done before this trip, but am happy to do it if I need to.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I did the same thing awhile back - I asked at the lds and was told to just run some compressed air through it to dry it out since it was only fresh water. If it's salt water, then some folks would say to rebuild it (and others still wouldn't care lol)

Aloha, Tim

An overhaul is probably not needed, but...
If it were my reg I'd tear it down, inspect and clean/disinfect it. Rinse tanks are never "fresh" and there's no telling what wonderful critters might set up housekeeping inside your first stage... probably some things you'd just as soon not have in your lungs. Having 'em in the first stage is distinctly different than in the second stage, as there is "atomization" when the water/bugs travel through the HP to LP port and again from the LP to second stage box.
Rick

itsjustme0770:
Boy do I feel stupid. Finishing up the last dive of the week and dropped my reg in the rinse tank without capping the first stage. Realized it once I pulled it out of the rinse tank.

I dried it off as best I could, ran compressed air through it.

Is a rebuild something that needs to be done? Just had it done before this trip, but am happy to do it if I need to.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I read a thread on this a while back..... IIRC, it depends on how much water got in and where? SPG? I don't know what rebuilding costs but I'm thinkin' when in doubt......

Rick Murchison:
An overhaul is probably not needed, but...
If it were my reg I'd tear it down, inspect and clean/disinfect it. Rinse tanks are never "fresh" and there's no telling what wonderful critters might set up housekeeping inside your first stage... probably some things you'd just as soon not have in your lungs.
Rick

i agree, almost did the same thing yesterday but i caught mself before i dunked it. after a hard days of diving you can get careless. my suggestion would be to overhaul if you are meticulous about your gear although not really needed. wash basins usually are filled with 100% fresh water but after being dunked with salty gear their is bound to be some residues. its your call

It should not be a problem, but you should remove your SPG before you ran compressed air through the first stage, I would be surprise that water would get in the SPG on his own but after you push air through it you never know if water get in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom