First Stage Salt Water Exposure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schupman

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As title indicates, my first stage came uncapped as I was carrying it off a day boat and it may have been exposed to salt water. This would not have been full immersion but a passing wave. Or splashing water. That sort of thing.

How likely is it that the water passed through the filter inside? If so, what should I do next (mid way through a dive vacation in remote INDO, not many resources available rn).

If it matters: First stage is an Apeks XL4. Yoke.

I wouldn't worry much if the 1st hasn't been submerged in saltwater.
If you look on the filter you should be able to see if water has entered the 1st or not, and I guess it didn't.
If you want to be sure that there are no residues of saltwater in the 1st, you can put some distilled water on the filter, connect it to a tank, remove the hoses and port plugs and open the tank carefully.
Repeat if you want and let it dry.
That should have removed most salt residues.
As mentioned, I don't think that in your case here that is really necessary.

In the short term, during your holidays, do not worry at all.
If you flush some air through it, moisture is gone, so the reg is breathable.
When back home it could be advisable to have it opened and cleaned Not a full service, if it is yet early for it...
Just opening, cleaning, lubricating some parts and closing
I do this myself to all my regs in any case, after my holidays, before storing them for winter.
It is during those long months staying unused when a small amount of salt water left inside can cause corrosion...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom