Lee County Artificial Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone, I have been looking for ways to dive in and around Fort Myers, FL without having to take a boat. Everyone says the vis sucks or its shallow. I have tried some shore diving at boca grande and the current was awful. I found some artificial reefs online that I may be able to reach via Kayak. I was wondering if anyone had an experience diving any of these or are they just for fishing?

Thanks

Dont waste your time trying to dive anywhere within beach visibility from Ft Myers cause the viz is awful. I have a boat and have run around the waters of Lee Co but they are all muddied by the Caloosahatchee. You have to go south off of Naples to get any decent viz. Been up fishing around Boca Grande and have seen the water pretty clear up there at times where I could see almost to the bottom.

I think these are a few miles off the beach but idk for sure. I have tried to shore dive at boca Grande last october But the current was crazy. I didn't look at tides or anything tho it might be diveable If you time it right. I have never tried Naples tho.

Where in Boca did you dive? I used to do Sandspur a lot. If you get a week of east winds viz can be okay. It will never be the same as east coast but is doable. 10 ft viz is considered awesome. I always yak dived & towed the boat with me so current was never an issue. You might want to consider heading up to Venice for shark tooth hunting. There are plenty of artificial reefs just off shore as well.

i just dove off the beach somewhere. It was near a bunch of pilings if that helps. I have heard about Venice before i will have to go check that out. Thanks

Hmmmmmm....................if you were where I think you were, that's pretty close to the pass & I can understand currents being tough down there. I've never gone past the Sandspur Range tower (it's the tall, white tower) and would not advise anyone to do so.

Yea it was real close to the inlet. I guess i'll have to try going further away from that next time. Thanks

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom