Leaving the board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know of a bunch of people who left the board for good ... most of them didn't leave voluntarily, though.

For the OP ... perhaps a better option would be to use the Ignore feature for those who you find offensive ... that's what it's there for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Goodbye posts tend to look like grandstanding, but then he did post his reasons - and they sound like reasonable complaints on the surface. I don't know what all he is pissed about, I only scanned his last 50 posts lightly, but his exchange in the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/so...-pleasant-vista-point-divers-instructors.html looks like an indicator. He got some very good suggestions from a very experienced member with a sound posting record that I have noticed, and I think just took it wrong. Excerpting from the cave diver's post...
Oh, and you are misinterpreting my statements. They are in no way meant in a condescending tone. But as I said, I see it as unsafe and I feel the need to state this.
Sorry you're so thin skinned, Pete - as that makes it hard to learn from others. I've even learned from some real assholes who were quite intentionally trying to piss me off.

Us the Report button if you think you've been wronged, Report my post if you want to try it (I get chastised by Mods for my opinions at times, and try to adjust from there), but more so accept that opposing views are often offered by people who mean well, that much of the flaming is imagined, and that learning from them will help your life expectancy.

Sorry to see you leave Pete. I know what you mean; there are several topics that people jump on and repeat the same old thing over and over. Don't get me wrong, everyone has an opinion and SB does provide a forum to voice it; I guess it goes with the territory.

In any case, good luck and safe diving in the future!

Wayne

There is another scuba board I'm a member of that ends up being home for many people who share your experience and perspective. I must say that it is 99.9% hospitable and friendly to new-comers' questions and those with less experience and they maintain a great community spirit for divers. I actually found it before I found this one and I utilize it tons more that this one. I knew before signing up here that there were these criticisms about so many on this board castigating others or getting irritated because they dared asked a question that had been asked before and things like that.

I think it is due to the fact that there are so many more members here and statistically speaking, there is bound to be more pride-filled gas-bags who think they are God's gift to the human race and the rest of us are highly fortunate that they've graced us with their presence. That said, there are a lot more kind and good people too. Still those few who run amok really give the board a black eye among the people that I know from other boards and people in the dive community here in Panama City, FL. I don't visit it as much myself for the same reason but still come from time to time. Anyway....I feel your pain!

Heck, I left for 8 years! LOL...

---------- Post added May 17th, 2012 at 12:34 PM ----------

Goodbye posts tend to look like grandstanding, but then he did post his reasons - and they sound like reasonable complaints on the surface. I don't know what all he is pissed about, I only scanned his last 50 posts lightly, but his exchange in the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/so...-pleasant-vista-point-divers-instructors.html looks like an indicator. He got some very good suggestions from a very experienced member with a sound posting record that I have noticed, and I think just took it wrong. Excerpting from the cave diver's post...

Sorry you're so thin skinned, Pete - as that makes it hard to learn from others. I've even learned from some real assholes who were quite intentionally trying to piss me off.

Us the Report button if you think you've been wronged, Report my post if you want to try it (I get chastised by Mods for my opinions at times, and try to adjust from there), but more so accept that opposing views are often offered by people who mean well, that much of the flaming is imagined, and that learning from them will help your life expectancy.

Wow, so I just read that. It's hard to believe that Rob was seen that way. LOL.. Yeah, I would have to say very thin skinned.

Hey Pete-- It's a shame that some interactions you've been a part of here have left you feeling bruised and sore to the point that you have decided to leave us. You've stated your reasons, and you've received a number of excellent suggestions. I've extracted them and made an easy-reference list for you as food for thought:
1) Just take a break. As others have mentioned, many of us have "left" SB more or less discouraged by one or another event and have come back after a while. Rather than saying "good riddance" and slamming the door behind you with the key locked inside, perhaps leave the door unlocked and say, "see ya" instead.
2) Use the ignore feature. When you encounter any of the several posters that you find most unfriendly and irritating, stick them on your ignore list so that their posts stay well under your radar. It's like not buying potato chips at the supermarket to help keep yourself away from junk food at home.
3) Report rudeness. The moderating team is fairly small given the number of new posts published every day. Without the help of the membership and their use of the post reporting system to flag problems as they come up, the board wouldn't be nearly as great a resource as it now is. Think of SB as a community with all sorts of people in it, including rude people; the moderating team are your community leaders; let them help.

duty_calls.png

I think the OP's feathers got ruffled for no reason, that he took offense where none was intended, that he had some ego or income at stake in the "offending" thread, and that he (and we) is lucky to get the benefit of Dive-a-holic's expertise for free.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, Pete.

This board is a lot of different things to a great many very different people. A great many folks come here to exchange ideas, info and learn, while others come here to chat and make new friends. Like anywhere else, some just come to make themselves feel bigger by making someone else look smaller (at least in their own eyes)
Like anywhere else, if you stick your neck out, and state your opinion there may be others who will agree with you and/or debate you, while others who may target you, and sometimes even insult you, but that can only hurt you if you let it.

As several folks have suggested, you can simply hit "ignore" for those who you feel have injured or insulted you, and never see their posts again. I have yet to do this, even for some who I have had some fairly harsh exchanges with. ( for me it is more fun to egg those I see as true jerks on a little bit: give them as much rope as they want, and watch them go. A lot of fun when you see one of the worst offenders crash and burn) (Where is my dam popcorn smiley when I need it?)

I am sure from my experience that SB has no higher percentage of a.h.'s than anywhere else, but as there are a LOT more members here than most other sites, the actual number of offenders could a little higher. Find yourself a board with only a half dozen members and I am fairly sure you will find somewhat fewer troublemakers and stalkers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom