Leaving tanks in hot car - safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok now you have lost me. So to settle things, is it safe to leave an AL80, filled up to maybe 3200 or PSI in a hot car, with the windows closed (dont like leaving windows open in an unattended car), in sun for up to 8hrs?

My AL40s, LP50s, and HP80s lived in my car all summer (I live in apt so it’s much easier to just leave them in my Escape). Never had any issues. Been leaving my tanks in the car for several years like this. IL doesn’t get like FL but it was danged hot this summer.

Ok now you have lost me. So to settle things, is it safe to leave an AL80, filled up to maybe 3200 or PSI in a hot car, with the windows closed (dont like leaving windows open in an unattended car), in sun for up to 8hrs?

Depends on how long the burst disc has been in the valve. If you change it every hydro, I wouldn't worry. If you have no idea when it was last changed...

I like how there’s both this and the “why would anyone get an HP tank when I can just get my al80 filled to 4000 psi” thread going on at the same time. :wink:

So I service my valves as required, don't like doing it, makes the valves too easy to roll on
during moving so mostly it's a quick phosphoric acid wash whilst still in the tank din threads
get cleaned with a wire dremmel when they become difficult, and all have double burst discs

Some of my dive shops fill so hot, I'm usually there waiting, that I cant touch the tanks let alone
plonk one on my shoulder to carry out to the car which by the way has had emergency O2 in the
back for decades, only comes out for fills or hangovers, aluminium 200bar with a neoprene cover

Anyone filling aluminium to 4000 is encroaching on the liberties of others

As a rule in these temperatures I generally crack the driver and passenger windows open a few cm to allow hot air to exit the vehicle.

Hahaha, yeah, otherwise the windshield might pop out.... (or loosen anyways...)

On the hottest days, if you take a car from the garage in the morning, drive around with the A/C on, then leave it parked in the sun with the windows up, the windshield can pop.... I've seen it happen in AZ.

I like how there’s both this and the “why would anyone get an HP tank when I can just get my al80 filled to 4000 psi” thread going on at the same time. :wink:
Yikes, overfilling aluminum tanks is foolish.

I assume he/she was joking about the LP tank cave fill thread. I had a similar chuckle when I found this thread and thought of that one.
LOL I need more cofvefe apparently. I spent at least 10 minutes looking for such a thread.

Yes I was exaggerating for humorous effect, not a direct quote/paraphrase, sorry for the confusion. :) Then again since cave fills are a thing I would think it's safe to leave the tanks in the car. What with the testing pressure being 150% or 200% on tanks anyway...

Back
Top Bottom