Learning Scuba Diving in Malaysia..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sukhihotu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very new here.. Never been diving before, but would like to go for the PADI Open Water Dive course.. (Psst!! That's the only course I know!!) :confused:

I would like to learn the course during the upcoming Chinese New Year 2007 around February.. East Coast of Malaysia is definitely close for monsoon.. :no

I've found some webpage about diving spots in the West Coast of Malaysia like Pulau Pangkor, Pulau Sembilan in Perak, Pulau Payar in Langkawi and Pulau Besar in Malacca.. But, I can't get information of hotel that offer the course with an estimated cost.

Is it true that we can learn the PADI Open Water Dive course within 5-6 days?
Where can I get more information of contact for learning to dive in Pangkor or Langkawi?

Thanks a lot for helping me out!!

Merry X'mas and Happy 2007!!!

It's possible to get certified in 5 days, as for getting information on the courses and locations I'd search the PADI and SSI site for dive shops in those locations, and of course call ahead. One thing I'd like to chime in on is the PADI/SSI/NAUI/Whatever certifications. Don't become too fixated on what certification you go with, they all teach the same basic skills and are accepted basically everywhere in the world. Good luck with your SCUBA adventure!

Check with East Marine on Langkawi. They dive at Pulau Payar. I dove with them in Sept. They offer dive classes and may be able to help you with a Hotel on Langkawi.

Sukhihito,

How's the search for dive spots in Malaysia going?

Yes, you can get your learning and first dives done in 5-6 days. I did. But I panicked on my first dives, so that's not always a good idea. Get more pool sessions in town and go with your instructor.

Payar is a great place. I love diving there. There is a live onboard called Orient Explorer with instructors onboard and I recommend you contact them. Payar is a bit of a long boat ride to get there from either Langkawi or Penang. So a liveonboard will be great to get started.

Pangkor used to have one dive centre servicing it on the coastal town on Lumut. It was called Sembilan divers, but they closed last year because of lack of business. Why, because Pangkor is horridly polluted. What dive spots it has are few and tiny.

Pulau Sembilan and Pulau Jarak are the popular dive spots around that area. You will need a live onboard to get there. There is an excellent one that services those spots every weekend. It's called Kaleebso. They have a website.

Pulau Besar has the same problem as Pangkor. Can't dive there. Might have been good ten years ago, but it sucks now.

East coast is still open. In fact, the Redang Kalong dive resort will be open on Chinese New Year. I'm headed there and to Tioman around that period.

If you need more help, just PM me. I'll do my best.

I've been to Kota Kinabalu last year and it was great. The town itself was fun. Nice place to hang around after a day's dive.

Where are you based?
If you are in KL then there are shops that will let you do your theory and pool sessions before you go on vacation.
Most are associated with one or more dive orginisation on the islands and should be easy to recommend some where.

I would not recommend a liveaboard for a first trip. If you don't like it then you are stuck on the boat with nothing to do.

In KL try recntec (www.recntec.com)
Planet Scuba (www.planetscuba.com.my) Tel 603-2287 2822
I think there is a shop in megamall, cannot remember the name though.
Phone them all up,
I would be surprised if they don't give you a good deal, the more divers the better their income will be in the future.

In this case google.com.my is your friend

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom