Learning SCUBA at 50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clarify a few points: I would say that I am not "couch potato" out of shape--I walk regularly every day and eat healthy. On the other hand, I get winded after running short distances and have not practiced swimming in quite a few years. I think based on your informative responses I'm going to spend a few months getting comfortable in the pool again, swimming laps, and also managing my weight (I weigh 165 and would ideally like to weigh 145 or so).

Don't go crazy trying to become a marathon runner first. 20lbs overweight will soon melt off after all the diving you will no doubt start doing!:wink:

Remember, diving is suppose to be fun.

I was introduced to diving in the late 70's when I was in college in Florida. I never got certified but have always been happiest either in or on the water Now I can add under the water to that.

I woke up one morning earlier this year at 49, with a wife, 3 teenagers, two cars, a mortgage, and all thr other trappings of modern life. I decided it was time start living my life for me as well as others and do something just to make me happy. I got certified. I took my classes at a local dive shop in June and my certification dives in the Keys in July. I continued on and got my advanced card, and did Nitrox in October. I have 28 logged dives so far.

I am now 50 and overweight; morbidly so at 5' 10" and 380 lbs, but I've lost 40 lbs this year and diving has been an additional outlet and incentive to continue to fight this battle.

I do laps so I didn't have trouble with the 200 meter swim, I did it all freestyle but if endurance is a problem you can slow down and change strokes. Try the side stroke to rest, as long as you keep moving forward.

I plan on getting my rescue diver cert next year, and who knows from there. I'm waiting for a wet suit to be delivered tomorrow that, if it fits, will enable me to continue diving this winter.

We live in the same area. There are a few good diving sites within a 2 hour drive of here. maybe we can buddy up sometime.
Thanks Jeff! I will let you know how the certification goes. I plan to certify with AWS of Virginia. Not sure if you're familiar with it but it's the closest shop to my house.

Last edited:
I've been told that NAUI is the best training source although it appears that PADI is more popular. Any thoughts?

PADI is more "consistent" because the instructor doesn't have much freedom to add things to the course that the agency doesn't define. This can be good or bad. In the case of an outstanding NAUI instructor, he/she could offer you a course that is rich in material you might not learn in a PADI course. On the other hand, a NAUI instructor is also free to put you through hell for no good reason....

In terms of minimum standards there isn't much difference between most of the recreational agencies. Also, there are exceptionally good and exceptionally bad instructors working for both agencies. If you have a choice then my advice would be to shop around and interview instructors and decide based on which *instructor* gives you the best feeling and don't just choose based on which agency someone told you is better.

Does someone have a link to Walter's checklist of questions for interviewing an instructor?

In terms of market share, PADI is more popular than all of the other agencies combined but NAUI cards are accepted world wide as well. I wouldn't let the popularity sway you one way or the other. Being the most popular doesn't necessarily mean you're the best (or the worst) it says nothing of significance, actually.

R..

I'm not sure if Walter's checklist is in this thread or not, but THIS is a very good thread for anyone considering an open water class to have a look at. (You don't have to read all 20-some-odd pages, but the first two or three are quite educational, I think.)

I was certified this year @ age 60, then followed that up withe AOW a month later.
My prep was joining the county pool and swimming 3 times a week for a couple months before the Scuba Course.

P.S. I highly recommend Adventure Scuba in Chantilly Va. Nice people

Gunther, Thank you for the advice. I was just checking Adventure Scuba on the web. Very good information. It might be worth considering but it's such a long drive from FC. Maybe I will take a drive out on the weekend.

-W.

Willy,

I am familiar with them only from their web site.

You didn't say where you were going to do your open water dives in Florida. If you are going to the Keys, I highly recommend Looe Key Dive Center. I did my OW and AOW with them and was very pleased. I'm hoping to do my Rescue Diver with them next year.

Looe Key is among the nicest Fla. reefs to dive, and I think the perfect place to learn. Good vis, lots to see, little current, only slight surge, and you need a shovel to hit 30 feet.

I was 57 when i did my ow cert dives and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Just know your limitations and don't try to push beond them, your not dead until you die so enjoy life.

Diving is a great sport for ... umm older divers! It is not physically demanding for the most part, in fact once UW it is quite calming and peaceful at most times. It is one reason I enjoy it so much.

One main consideration is that if something does go wrong when you are at depth, it is a very unfriendly environment as we don't breath water too well.

You need to be a reasonable swimmer, so doing laps and getting in the pool is a good way to increase your in water confidence, and it's good for you as well.

I would suggest getting your hands on the OW material, and spending some time not just reading it, but learning it. You don't necessarily need to memorize the tables, but you should have a handle on NDL's at various depths. You should also have a basic understanding of the equipment, not necessarily how it all goes together (that should be well covered in class) but the components, and options.

Starting shallow is a good plan. You may find that deeper is not that difficult, just something one needs to take into account with a bit of added caution and training/experience.

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy.

PADI is more "consistent" because the instructor doesn't have much freedom to add things to the course that the agency doesn't define. This can be good or bad.

I know a number of instructors from different agencies. I think there is PLENTY to teach/learn in the allotted time, and good OW instructors keep focus on the task(s) on hand without a constant stream of shifting information that can overwhelm the new diver.

I believe many students are a bit overwhelmed even if I think they get good training. I have helped a LOT of OW students before their first dive, and just the gear setup can be a bit daunting for the newbie.

One thing I recommend to any new student is to spend plenty of time with the book, and really learn the material prior to any class (not just OW). Class room sessions are relatively short, and not the time to be reading the book for the first time. A college class, or extended classroom with the instructor can be the exception. However the standard agency classes assume the student walks in the door understanding most of the material.

Hi
I read your post and am also a new diver and age 53. My certification dives were shore dives out of Monterey CA and the hike with equipment on, up and back on the shore,took everything I had to get back up the sand and to our start position.
Then I went on my first 3 day live aboard boat dive. I made 6 dives on that trip and was exsasted after each dive.
I started jogging then to get in better spape.
My last dives this last weekend, again off a live aboard boat.....were much much better. My stamina had improved greatly and I was not tired after any dives. I am going to continue to jog. I only jog about a mile right now. Starting out, I jogged one minute then walked one minute. I am slowly increasing my run time.
You will LOVE diving. It is the most Awesome sport I have found and I am just in Awe of the underwater alien world.
You can do it! And you will not be sorry. Just make sure you get good equipement and good instruction. It will keep your life safe.
Maureen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom