Learning SCUBA at 50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All,

I've loved SCUBA and the underwater world since my childhood days watching the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. However I never found the time to learn. Seeing Jacques Cousteau diving at 80 was always a great inspiration to me to feel confident I could eventually learn. Well, an opportunity has arisen for me learn. My plan is to take my classroom and pool lessons here in Virginia and then go to Florida for my OW dives. My main concern is that I haven't done much swimming in several years and am not as active as I used to be. I just wanted to get other diver's opinions and recommendations on how best to prepare oneself for the physical challenges of diving. Are there any issues with which I should concern myself before I begin. I really want to learn to dive but I certainly don't want to take any unnecessary risks. In reality I don't think I will ever make deep dives. I really just want to experience the underwater world and I think there are many wonderful sites at 30 feet or less. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Willy

This sounds a lot like me 3 months ago.I also grew up loving those UWJC shows and always wanted to see those things for myself.I also had concerns about learning to dive at 49.
Check with your doctor as to your fitness to dive and discuss any medical issues,after a half century we all have some things that ain't what they used to be.Ask about any meds you might take and how pressure might affect them.
I'm in good shape and haven't found anything really physically challenging about diving.The 200m swim has been the "hardest" thing so far.I find diving more relaxing than strenuous.For me,hauling all the tanks and gear on land and putting on a wet suit in the hot sun raises more sweat than the dive.
I don't think age is an issue.There are a lot of 'old guys' out there.In fact,since certification,I've met and dived with more people closer to our own age than any other.If you are physically and medically able,and are comfortable in the water,go for it.I think my biggest mistake in diving so far is not learning sooner.
BTW-49 is NOT old!:D

It's hard to know what "not very active" means. But if you are largely sedentary, and particularly if you are overweight as well, it would be a VERY good idea at least to challenge yourself before your class. Go somewhere and get on a treadmill and walk fast enough to get a little out of breath -- then give yourself a bit of slope and keep at it. If you get winded almost immediately, or if you have any chest discomfort while doing this, go see a doctor before you take your dive class.

He'll need a doctor's approval to start the training anyway.

Willy. I'd say go for it. To my way of thinking anything you do to become and remain active will pay big dividends in your quality of life. The worst thing we can do to ourselves is to become sedentary and then become afraid of doing something about that!

Lynne's word of warning is good but don't let it scare you off.

Your age is no problem at all.

R..

Went diving with my Father in law a few months back. It was his first time diving at 57 and he was smiling for weeks afterwards. Sure, he's not going to take it up for good but he still talks about it and so happy he tried it..

Personally, (and not to generalise) I prefer diving with older people who want to take it easy, take in the view, and and have a good time while making new friends. Most divers are happy to share their experience with others and help you learn. Every diver is still learning and you will be no different.

First post on this board... despite hanging out here for the last couple of years! Most poster here have much more experience to share with you, but just to reiterate ... nothing to stop you, ask lots of questions, share your concerns, and enjoy. People are happy to help.

It's a whole different world and worth going for a look!! :D

From one "Old Guy" (49 years old) to another....

dkktsunami is not offering good advice.

Scuba diving does require a certain degree of athleticism. You've got to be a competent swimmer at the very minimum. If you're shore diving, you've got to get back to shore (and there may be a bit of a current to fight). If you're boat diving, sometimes the boat can't come to you and you've got to go to the boat. In rough water, you've got to be able manage yourself.

The good news is that with a little of pool work you can get into some reasonable shape for diving. Talk with your doctor to make sure that it's safe for you to begin physical exercise.

I'm 49 and just completed my cave diving training, advanced nitrox training and decompression training this year.

Hey Doc, Please re-read my post. I would like to think that I am not offering "bad advice". I do mention that good health and comfort in the water are necessary and that a large number of scuba "accidents" involving older people are from the inability to handle the stress of current or surface swims. I also mention that swimming and exercise are helpful. I don't think, however, that it is necessary to have the capabilities of an athlete to enjoy a successful and lasting life of scuba diving.

I am new to the board, Hi Everyone, and was certified at 50, also after wanting to for 35 years and after many Jacques Cousteau episodes on TV. I am 52 and scuba in the Red Sea as much as possible. Walking the dog a few miles a day and push-ups help me to stay in shape for diving.

I love the water and the weightless environment (once I've established buoyancy) maybe more than the dive sites themselves. While only a PADI Open Water diver, I stick to the guide or dive master during my dives to stay safe and to take advantage of their familiarity with the dive site and its wonders. I plan to do advanced courses this Spring.

I also have friends in the neighborhood, a married couple in their 60s, who started diving last year and will be dive masters in a year from their almost weekly dive trips and course work. They plan to spend their retirement diving.

I am only sorry that I did not start sooner.

I second the sentiment of being sorry for not starting sooner. I certified at 61 with my youngest son during a stay in the Bahamas. We then did not dive for about 9 months. Then I discovered how much fun local quarry diving can be last last summer.

We have been having a great time working on skills and meeting people. I bought myself a wet suit in a smaller size than the one I was renting and have lost 25 pounds so I could fit in it for a trip to Florida that we begin next week.

Jump in, get certified. There are lots of us older divers around. Just don't pick strenuous dives when you start. I am fascinated with the underwater life and have no interest in deep or strenuous dives.

Diving is also great exercise, no pressure on the old tired joints.

I was certified this year @ age 60, then followed that up withe AOW a month later.
My prep was joining the county pool and swimming 3 times a week for a couple months before the Scuba Course.

P.S. I highly recommend Adventure Scuba in Chantilly Va. Nice people

Rob, Peter and I just reviewed the PADI medical statement, and he would not require a physician's clearance on age alone unless he smokes, has high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, or a family history of heart disease or stroke. I got certified at 52, and I would not have required a physician's clearance except that I admitted to the mild asthma that I have.

I didn't mean to be at all discouraging -- after all, I got certified after 50! I just got concerned about the statement regarding inactivity and being out of shape. Out of shape in the US can mean anything from, "I don't think I could run a mile in under 5 minutes" to "I'm more than 100% over ideal body weight." Given the data that are accumulating regarding cardiovascular issues in dive accidents, I think it's reasonable to suggest that someone who states he's inactive do some kind of self-evaluation.

Hmm. Looks like you're right, Lynne. I was thinking about the clause that says "I"m older than 45 and .... etc" I thought I remembered it saying "I'm older than 45 OR .... etc". My bad.

R..

Thanks all for so many great responses. :D Your encouragement and enthusiasm are a real comfort. With so many supportive divers out there, I feel more confident about moving forward. Support of your fellow divers goes a long way toward reducing the stress of diving, I believe.

Just to clarify a few points: I would say that I am not "couch potato" out of shape--I walk regularly every day and eat healthy. On the other hand, I get winded after running short distances and have not practiced swimming in quite a few years. I think based on your informative responses I'm going to spend a few months getting comfortable in the pool again, swimming laps, and also managing my weight (I weigh 165 and would ideally like to weigh 145 or so).

One other question that I have is that my plan was to attend classes at a NAUI facility here in Falls Church, Virginia. It's called American Watersports of Virginia. Not sure if anyone is familiar with AWS but if anyone is I would love to know your experiences. Also, I've been told that NAUI is the best training source although it appears that PADI is more popular. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much again for your advice and comments!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom