Learning SCUBA at 50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Willy
I did my OW a couple of months after my 50th, must be mid life crisis, this year. I'm not at all over weight but was a smoker for 10 years, I quit before the class started so I could buy all my gear I wanted as a gift to myself. The only thing I was worried about was the 200 meter swim if I could do it. Ended up I was the last one in the pool, the instructor seen my patch on my arm wanted to know how it was going, and I finished 2nd out of 6. I figured not bad for an old fart kicking the butts of kids not even half my age. Yes as TSandM stated go do a tread mil or just get out and walk. You should be fine but always believe what your body is telling you if it hurts or is discomfortable slow or stop. You can always talk to your doctor or get a derided physical, I hate doctors ha ha. Just don't push yourself, diving is very relaxing, go slow to save on air, and enjoy something that is under our world.
Randy

All,

I've loved SCUBA and the underwater world since my childhood days watching the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. However I never found the time to learn. Seeing Jacques Cousteau diving at 80 was always a great inspiration to me to feel confident I could eventually learn. Well, an opportunity has arisen for me learn. My plan is to take my classroom and pool lessons here in Virginia and then go to Florida for my OW dives. My main concern is that I haven't done much swimming in several years and am not as active as I used to be. I just wanted to get other diver's opinions and recommendations on how best to prepare oneself for the physical challenges of diving. Are there any issues with which I should concern myself before I begin. I really want to learn to dive but I certainly don't want to take any unnecessary risks. In reality I don't think I will ever make deep dives. I really just want to experience the underwater world and I think there are many wonderful sites at 30 feet or less. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Willy

Hi Willy. It's great that you want to get into diving.

There are many "older" divers in the sport nowadays. With developments in equipment technology and growth in international travel, diving is accessible to more people and dive sites are available within easy reach. Diving is very different from what it was during Jacques Cousteau's days.

In my experience, the oldest person I certified was in her late sixties. I've seen people in their seventies certify and go on to enjoy the sport so age in itself is not a problem.

In terms of physical fitness and health, you will be asked to do a medical questionnaire before starting the course and before you start the in-water portion of the course, there will be a swim test (200 metres swim or 300 metres snorkel swim). If you are a bit unsure about your watermanship or swimming fitness, make a few trips to the swimming pool and do lengths. This way, you'll work be able to work on your fitness and raise your confidence in the water.

All the best and let us know how you do.

L

50? Hell yeah. There are plenty of divers getting certified as I'm typing this who are well in their 60s. Welcome to the sport!

I was 54 when I got my OW cert. The swimming part wasn't easy for me but I did it. So far I would have to say that Scuba is the best thing I ever learned. If only I had done it earlier. My wife was the one that talked me into it. She now has to go with the understanding that it is her fault. Now all she can say is OK, Don't tell me because I don't want to know what it costs.

The best part about learning to dive is you can afford the gear. Also helps that the more mature divers think before the act, which prevent a lot of problems. I am sure you will have fun. Good luck.

Assuming you have no underlying health problems go for it!

I was 52 when I did my OW course and have been kicking myself in the butt for not doing it years earlier but, as they say, better late than never.

Surgeon General's Warning: Scuba diving is habit forming and may be dangerous to your wealth!

Lots of good advice here. I got certified at age 42. I'm overweight and a smoker. Diving has motivated me to be in better shape. Not a bad idea to get a check up before starting. Welcome to the board and good luck.

I got certified at 45 and did better in class than some of the 20 somethings. As stated above, if you are comfortable in the water and in reasonable shape you will do great. Here are three tips about conditioning: i) If you can bicycle this is great aerobic training, easy on the joints and fun. Having good aerobic capacity makes everything easier underwater as you wont get tired or find yourself overbreathing the regulator. ii) Do 10 situps, pushups and back extension exercises at least every other day. You can do this in less than three minutes before your morning shower. You will be surprised how much stronger your core will be in just one month. Your tank will be heavy and these exercises will help you avoid vacation killing back injuries, climbing the ladder back onto the boat, etc. iii) Lastly, if you wear glasses get perscription lenses for your mask, otherwise you really won't know what you are missing!

Happy Diving

Recreational diving does not really require athleticism. ...

From one "Old Guy" (49 years old) to another....

dkktsunami is not offering good advice.

Scuba diving does require a certain degree of athleticism. You've got to be a competent swimmer at the very minimum. If you're shore diving, you've got to get back to shore (and there may be a bit of a current to fight). If you're boat diving, sometimes the boat can't come to you and you've got to go to the boat. In rough water, you've got to be able manage yourself.

The good news is that with a little of pool work you can get into some reasonable shape for diving. Talk with your doctor to make sure that it's safe for you to begin physical exercise.

I'm 49 and just completed my cave diving training, advanced nitrox training and decompression training this year.

I was introduced to diving in the late 70's when I was in college in Florida. I never got certified but have always been happiest either in or on the water Now I can add under the water to that.

I woke up one morning earlier this year at 49, with a wife, 3 teenagers, two cars, a mortgage, and all thr other trappings of modern life. I decided it was time start living my life for me as well as others and do something just to make me happy. I got certified. I took my classes at a local dive shop in June and my certification dives in the Keys in July. I continued on and got my advanced card, and did Nitrox in October. I have 28 logged dives so far.

I am now 50 and overweight; morbidly so at 5' 10" and 380 lbs, but I've lost 40 lbs this year and diving has been an additional outlet and incentive to continue to fight this battle.

I do laps so I didn't have trouble with the 200 meter swim, I did it all freestyle but if endurance is a problem you can slow down and change strokes. Try the side stroke to rest, as long as you keep moving forward.

I plan on getting my rescue diver cert next year, and who knows from there. I'm waiting for a wet suit to be delivered tomorrow that, if it fits, will enable me to continue diving this winter.

We live in the same area. There are a few good diving sites within a 2 hour drive of here. maybe we can buddy up sometime.

Back
Top Bottom