Learning on my own how to Freedive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Special breathing and breath holding techniques are best taught by real freedive instructors....I have my own way of doing this, but I hesitate to share as I am not a freedive instructor, and I think this gets to a procedure that can become deadly if done incorrectly.....
I really don't want to be a Dick about this....I also don't want to offer my way for this, and find out someone used my concept of lung packing and breathold, and then blacked out and died.....
I can't see anyone drowning from my ideas on kick shape, so on this I am fine going on ad nauseum :)

Special breathing and breath holding techniques are best taught by real freedive instructors....I have my own way of doing this, but I hesitate to share as I am not a freedive instructor, and I think this gets to a procedure that can become deadly if done incorrectly.....
I really don't want to be a Dick about this....I also don't want to offer my way for this, and find out someone used my concept of lung packing and breathold, and then blacked out and died.....
I can't see anyone drowning from my ideas on kick shape, so on this I am fine going on ad nauseum :)

Dan is right about this; while it would fairly simple to explain the technique, there's just no way of ensuring that you won't use it in an unintended, and potentially dangerous manner.

I support this opinion.
Fast tracking someone on the internet that you don't know and have never met is not a good idea.
Go get proffessional freediving instruction face to face, work in the pool, classroom theory, open water goals (with spotters) etc.

Lung packing is effectively over filling your lungs beyond their normal capacity. It is not for the average snorkeler at all - and you can black out from over packing. At the start of this world record no fins dive (About 50 sec into the clip) you can see William Trubridge "packing".
[video=youtube_share;PUcpzf0rbAw]http://youtu.be/PUcpzf0rbAw[/video]

Pranayama yoga breathing techniques are less extreme - we use the "3 part breath" at the free dive club I train with. Also - avoid hyperventilating (and be aware of Shallow Water Blackout)

Thanks.

Does anyone here recommend Florida Freedivers classes? I'm not looking to dive to 60', I'd just like to increase my bottom time (safely) at 30'-40'.

No recommendations on Florida free dive clubs / training here sorry (I am in New Zealand). But if you join a club and do a little depth training you will find that 30' - 40' is comfortable pretty quickly and that you will be passing 60' in relatively controlled situations (i.e. on a free dive line with appropriate safety in place) without too much trouble. (Unless you have issues equalising - this is what holds people up at round 45' from my limited experience).

Thanks.

Does anyone here recommend Florida Freedivers classes? I'm not looking to dive to 60', I'd just like to increase my bottom time (safely) at 30'-40'.

Florida Freedivers are excellent. I have seen them teach classes, and I can't say enough good about them.

Actually, when you say "Worst case scenario, I float up to the surface unconscious." that's not true. Worst case is you die. Folks here have given you excellent advice, please take it.

Check into a "meet up" group, I'm sure someone (even a scuba diver) would be willing to help you as you practice. Wouldn't someone in your family, or a friend, in the area also be willing to help? Even if all that person does is standby with a phone to call 911, you're better off.

Along with advice to practice in the ocean or a clear quarry, you could consider using a swimming pool. I've seen training courses for world-class free divers practicing breath holds in the pool. They also setup cones at varying distances and practice swimming to them, checking off their progress. it seems a safer scenario than what you're planning. Once you have your breath hold time increased, then take it to the open water. The key there is not to panic - always stay calm.

Good luck.

Actually, when you say "Worst case scenario, I float up to the surface unconscious." that's not true. Worst case is you die. Folks here have given you excellent advice, please take it.

Check into a "meet up" group, I'm sure someone (even a scuba diver) would be willing to help you as you practice. Wouldn't someone in your family, or a friend, in the area also be willing to help? Even if all that person does is standby with a phone to call 911, you're better off.

Along with advice to practice in the ocean or a clear quarry, you could consider using a swimming pool. I've seen training courses for world-class free divers practicing breath holds in the pool. They also setup cones at varying distances and practice swimming to them, checking off their progress. it seems a safer scenario than what you're planning. Once you have your breath hold time increased, then take it to the open water. The key there is not to panic - always stay calm.

Good luck.

Should have quoted and high-lighted the portion of the post you were addressing, so folks know who you're talking to ... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom