Learning on my own how to Freedive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks.

Does anyone here recommend Florida Freedivers classes? I'm not looking to dive to 60', I'd just like to increase my bottom time (safely) at 30'-40'.

30-40 feet? It sounds like you're planning on spear fishing?

I find that to be an awkward depth where I break the rules I learned in my PFI (Performance Freediving Instructors) class. You will likely learn from FFD that you should be positively buoyant at 30 feet. This is so that if you do black out at 10 feet or so, you'll float up instead of sinking.
But I do hunt frequently at that depth here because the cuts with high current are 30-60 feet or so. I overweight so I'm negative at about 15 feet if I want to lay on the bottom at 30. That gives me more bottom time because I don't have to work as hard to get, or stay at that depth.
The keys for me in diving better to that depth were/are, stationary bike for aerobics helped a LOT. Don't eat the day you're diving other than a couple bananas in the morning. Digestion takes oxygen and a full stomach takes up space. I use a neck weight, which keeps my head down, going down and staying down. Relax on the bottom. Let your head drop down. The fish will come to you. :D

And no matter how many times it's been said, if you're pushing it, make sure you're diving one up, one down with a buddy. I know this is safer but I am guilty of diving more or less alone though. It's easier to be a sneaky bastard when hunting alone. But I also don't push myself. I ascend way before I'm getting contractions or really feeling a need to breath.

Yes I want to spearfish at that depth. I skip breakfast every morning. Maybe that's another reason I'm already surpassing my friends.

So are you saying you don't recommend the course because of the type of diving I want to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom