learning american - bar to psi conversion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the best simple way.

Divide XXX bar in half and add up it on XXX bar * 10 = XXX psi

For example, 100 bar = ? psi
100bar / 2 = 50 bar
100 bar + 50 bar = 150bar = 1500 psi Darn easy.....

[(Pressure in Bar) multiply by (3/2)] multiply this result by 10, result roughly equals psi.
Example: [(200bar)(3/2)]10 =3000psi for a standard "Aluminium" 80cf/11L Tank (actual volume delivered is 77.4 cubic feet).

hoosier:

100bar / 2 = 50 bar
Does this put me in the green, yellow, or red zone?

hoosier:

100bar / 2 = 50 bar

Im having problems doing that sat at my desk. Theres no chance i could manage that when narc'd !

I solved the problem a different way when i visited north america - i took my own regs with their own SPG. The other advantage is i knew what condition there were in and trusted them.

Kevrumbo:
[(Pressure in Bar) multiply by (3/2)] multiply this result by 10, result roughly equals psi.
Example: [(200bar)(3/2)]10 =3000psi for a standard "Aluminium" 80cf/11L Tank (actual volume delivered is 77.4 cubic feet).
Easy for you, I flunked algebra.

You could get an SPG that has a dual scale with PSI and bar. But, more than that and better yet, don't attempt to convert PSI to bar or vice versa. The whole idea behind an analog guage, watch, timer or whatever is relative position. RELATIVE position of the needle. Note the position of the needle when the tank is full, then mentally make note of where 2/3 full and 1/3 full would be compared to full. It is pretty easy in psi with 3,000 psi tanks, 3,000 is 3/3, 2,000 is 2/3 and 1,000 is 1/3 and it is time to go up (put simply). How is that diffucult? Put this number in your head, 500 psi, the divemaster is going to want you back on the boat with the needle pointing at 500 psi. Don't complicate things with conversions. N

String:
Im having problems doing that sat at my desk. Theres no chance i could manage that when narc'd !

I solved the problem a different way when i visited north america - i took my own regs with their own SPG. The other advantage is i knew what condition there were in and trusted them.

LOL~~~ Even my all SPGs are Bar at this moment in US. Yes, I am familiar with both metric and imperial......:D

Isn't it easy? Just add half and put 0 at the end....:huh:

Thanks all - I'll be taking my own gear so wasn't worried about reading my own gauges but thought I should know in case I got a briefing or something that said "head up at x psi" or a buddy waving their gauge at me to tell me how much gas they had left or something....

Yes...also be sure to mention that you are diving BAR to your buddies and DM...
I forgot this once and when I signed the DM I had "100" left he started looking a bit nervous...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom