Learning about boosters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Om3ga*wolf_1362...

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i used the search,
and i can't see any direct answers so i thought i'd post the question...
could i use an air booster and low-ish out-put compressor to fill a scuba tank,
something like a al80 would be nice...
i sort of know i would need a filter stack on the compressor air in-let,
and to use an oil free compressor if possible...
but the stansted dtb5c gas booster i'm thinking of seems kind of small,
but i'm so new to all this, i still got the sticker on...
any help or thoughts would be gladly accepted...

yours wolfy...

An air driven booster requires two sources, one to drive the booster piston and the other a transfer gas. Generally, the driver source can be 100-150 psi filtered air. Depending on the booster type, the transfer gas (air to tank) needs to be about 300-500 psi or more grade E gas (air, nitrox,etc). Some two stage boosters can draw down (use) a bit lower pressure, maybe 200 psi, but are quite expensive and would not be very efficient with such a low transfer gas pressure. The resultant setup would not be the best for the intended use and that is why people use high pressure compressors for filling SCUBA tanks.

thank you for your reply,
i guess i should have known there was no short cuts...
i've found 2 bauer dealerships here in the uk, and then there's this one
alt-80 2.2-S from abac air compressors
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Capacity 80 ltr/min (2.8 cfm)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Charge rate 25 min (10 ltr 0-200 bar)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Working Pressure 225 bar (3200 psi) / 300 bar (4300 psi)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Compressor 900-1400 rpm[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Motor [/FONT]2.2 [FONT=Arial,Arial]kW ([/FONT]3 [FONT=Arial,Arial]HP) [/FONT]230 [FONT=Arial,Arial]V [/FONT]- 1 - [FONT=Arial,Arial]50 Hz[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Dimensions 65 x 38 x 36 cm[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Weight 39 kg[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Noise level 78 dB (ISO 3746)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]No. stages 4[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]No. cylinders 4[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Frame Steel - Powder coated[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Filtration Activated carbon and molecular sieve[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Inter/ after cooler Stainless steel[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Air quality Breathing air DIN 3188 EN 12021 CGA E[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]i can't remember the price, a touch under £2000 i think... i'll look in it[/FONT]
a bauer jr 2 is £2,750... a bit much...
still thanks again, it's just something for me to mull over while i finish my cert

hmmmm, i've looked at the coltri sub mch-6 (i think it's known has the maxair-35 in the states)
it was gonna be my second choice compressor...
having read your many postings you seem to know what's what,
so if i need a small compressor to fill say 2-4 tanks a week (but not all 52, i hate the cold)
would this one do the job...
some people swear these are the worst thing to come out of italy since mussolini,
but they seem like a small number...

Check out the ALKIN W31, it is currently your best value in a compressor. In the UK I can not help you but can direct you to someone who can.
The ALKIN and Bauer Jr have a 3200 Cu. Ft filter (Some brands are about half that size!!!!) ) The ALKIN puts out 3.4-3.5 Actual CFM (4.9**SCFM)
The ALKIN runs at 1200 RPM so it is durable and quiet.
I reccomend you get brand "A" Alkin, brand "B" is not a bad choice either but there are no others I would reccomend.
I would carefully read their warranty if it says Warranty is voided if you fill miltiple tanks or cascade systems that is a big red flag. With a good compressor you should be able to use your compressor to fill as many tanks as you want.

cheers curly, that name would come in handy (if only to keep my options open)
all i'd ask is that it comes with a warranty, and if i pass that parts and advice are on hand...
i'm new to this compressor business, and i'd just like to know there's someone to help me out the
hole i'll have dug myself...
if this is a man that can, please pm me his name...

oh, and thanks for the reply,

wolfy...

And if you think you might ever want to continuous mix nitrox, make sure you know what the warantee has to say about that. Brand B will void coverage for even non-related problems, if the compressor has been used for continuous mixing.

I would carefully read their warranty if it says Warranty is voided if you fill miltiple tanks or cascade systems that is a big red flag. With a good compressor you should be able to use your compressor to fill as many tanks as you want.

Hacker, another reason to buy a used compressor in acceptable condition. Tight azzed Bauer, Maxair, etc. I called Bauer/Norfolk and they wouldn't discuss NITROX, in short: we don't recommend it.

nitrox, now that would be nice, but i need to learn to walk before i run,
but that is what i like about that coltri, it does trox right out the box, but the manbrane is a bit steep...
i've have to get myself a copy of the oxygen hackers cookbook...lol,
and make the stick my next winters project...
bauer and maxair, almost like the have's and have not's...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom