Leaking mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DickBurton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know there are a number of posts on this subject, but none really answer my question.

I've struggled to find a mask that didn't let some water in and I'm beginning to think it's probably me and not the mask. I had a mini shadow last year (after trying on numerous and getting advice) that seemed to be OK, but I stood on it so had to buy another! The new mask is the same model, but it seems to let in water through the skirt under the nose. I've tried all the normal cures but the leak persists. It's only a little and doesn't really spoil the dive, but I'd love to be able to work out how to stop it. I'm wondering if air bubbles are disturbing the skirt enough to break the seal.

Any new ideas anyone?

Thanks

Do you have a mustache? My husband has to shave under his nose so no leaks. Or maybe a little silicone there?

I figure that a little water is part of the deal. If things get foggy, it's nice to have a bit of water to swirl around in the mask.

The blue tangs always make me smile, and sometimes I get water in because of that.

If the mask is the same model and the old mask didn't leak and all other things are equal then something is different from the first or you are doing something different. Work out what it is that's different and you'll cure the leak, assuming new mask isn't defective in some way. Are you using the same strap, is it the same tightness as old mask are you wearing it in the same place i.e high on your lip or low on your lip etc something is different. Good luck.

So the masks leak air when your trying them on?

I shave just under my nose to prevent leaks there, but an improperly sized mask will leak no matter what you do.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I do always shave before the first dive of the day (no mustache). It could be the strap, the new mask has a different strap which I leave quite loose. Perhaps I'll put my old mask strap on the new one and see what difference it makes.

A loose mask strap will leak, but so will a tight one. Find a setting that is just tight enough to keep the mask from falling off of your face above water and if that leaks pull it tighter one or two clicks at a time until it stops. Also, have you changed your regulator mouth piece? sometimes a new mouth piece will change the shape of your lips around it breaking the mask seal. And as mentioned make sure you are not smiling, that will flood any mask every time. Try teaching the zen of scuba to first time divers and make sure they don't smile too much and you will see what I mean.

And as a thought, some people just can't find masks that fit. I only fit about a quarter of masks on the market. Try every single model on the shelf at your dive shop. Drive across town to the shop nobody talks about and try on every single one they have too. Don't worry about color or style or marketing, just fit. It is a lengthy process but last time I found a mask I liked and fit I bought a couple just to make sure I didn't have to go through the process again any time soon.

Dive Safe

Do you have a LDS? if you do, go there and just press the different masks on and try to pull them off and get the one that "sticks" the most

A loose mask strap will leak, but so will a tight one. Find a setting that is just tight enough to keep the mask from falling off of your face above water and if that leaks pull it tighter one or two clicks at a time until it stops. Also, have you changed your regulator mouth piece? sometimes a new mouth piece will change the shape of your lips around it breaking the mask seal. And as mentioned make sure you are not smiling, that will flood any mask every time. Try teaching the zen of scuba to first time divers and make sure they don't smile too much and you will see what I mean.

And as a thought, some people just can't find masks that fit. I only fit about a quarter of masks on the market. Try every single model on the shelf at your dive shop. Drive across town to the shop nobody talks about and try on every single one they have too. Don't worry about color or style or marketing, just fit. It is a lengthy process but last time I found a mask I liked and fit I bought a couple just to make sure I didn't have to go through the process again any time soon.

Dive Safe

In my experience if the mask fits properly it should stay on your face and not leak even without a strap.

..snip..
The new mask is the same model, but it seems to let in water through the skirt under the nose. I've tried all the normal cures but the leak persists.
..snip..
Thanks

A lot of people place the mask strap too high on their head so the mask gradually pulls up against the base of the nose causing the mask to curve outwards and break the seal on each side of the base of the nose. Try to ensure that the mask on the upper lip is not pressing on the base of the nose.

Weight gain? (or loss?)

Everyones face is a different shape. Getting a mask to fit is an issue.

Has your face changed shape lately?

Or maybe your prior mask was just marginal on fit and now you notice the poor fit due to the new mask. I agree with others, go back to your LDS and try on a bunch. You may need to try more than 1 LDS to cover all brands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom