Leaking mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of people place the mask strap too high on their head so the mask gradually pulls up against the base of the nose causing the mask to curve outwards and break the seal on each side of the base of the nose. Try to ensure that the mask on the upper lip is not pressing on the base of the nose.

Yes, I know when my mask strap is too high on my head coz it's starts to cause pain at the base of my nose. I also notice it if I'm doing wall drift diving, taking lots of photos in a vertical position as the mask pulls up somewhat.

I've dived the old Cressi Big Eyes masks for years. My current one began leaking recently and I think the cause is the placement of the mask strap, but I still haven't gotten it adjusted properly so it doesn't leak. It doesn't leak much and I can use the water inside to clear the lenses IF they fog up (my spit usually prevents that from happening).

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I do have a new strap so this may be the cause as I know it's probably too loose. I think I'll also try on some other masks before my next trip - having a spare can't hurt!

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I do have a new strap so this may be the cause as I know it's probably too loose. I think I'll also try on some other masks before my next trip - having a spare can't hurt!

Too loose will not cause leaking, an ill fitting mask will. When you try on other masks put your reg, snorkel or a reg mouth piece in your mouth. Fold strap so it's on the front of the mask i.e don't use strap at all. This will give a truer indication of fit/seal, suck through your nose and once mask "sticks" to your face breathe through your mouth. If it's a good fit it will "stick" to your face regardless of whether strap is on of not, look up and down and if mask stays in place you're probably onto a winner. Hope this makes sense. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom