Leaking drysuit wrist seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

p1medicshawn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hope this is the right area. I do not post that often. After every dive that I don't use my dry gloves my left arm seems to be wet. This is not from sweat as the lower arm is wet as well. This only happens to my left arm. The seals are in excellent shape and do not need replacement. I have also hed teh valve checked and it does not leak either. Is there anything that I can do to resolve this problem other than using the drygloves all the time? It gets too warm for them in the summer. Any advise would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance

maybe apollo bio-seals?

I have very small wrists... or tendons...the tendons on my left cause my wrist seal to leak even with the smallest seals I can find...

Friend of mine rolls his seals over and that worked for him... didn't for me...

Ironically this is the first thread I saw after coming in from a pool sessino in my new (used) Bare Next-Gen suit. I didn't have this problem with another suit I used, but I felt some water leak passed my wrists this time. I'm assuming it was water because I felt a small spurt of cold upon my lower forearm and wrists. However, my fleece didn't seem wet when I took the suit off.

Also, I was having trouble getting ANY air to the lower part of the suit. Maybe this was because I was using a weight belt instead of integrated weights? (not trying to hijack your thread!)

I cut band about 2 inches wide from an old seal and wear than under my drysuit seal. It works like a charm.

I dive in a DUI CLx450 and my original wrist seals leaked, too. HOWEVER, the leaking was not because of a faulty DUI product. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY DUI CLx450 DRY-SUIT!

Most of my diving is in the exhibits at the Monterey Bay Aquarium for maintenance purposes (e.g. window cleaning, siphoning, etc.) The maintenance often requires the use of a strong grip on the underwater tools. For me, that firm grip causes the tendons in my wrists to create enough of gap to allow water into the sleeves of the suit.

How did I stop the leaking? Don't laugh, but someone suggest I place thick rubber bands over my latex seals while performing 'work' dives; and, IT WORKED! I used the wide/thick rubber bands commonly found on bunches of broccoli. Perhaps this wasn’t the best method to prevent leaks on dry-suit seals, but it worked for me.

Eventually, however, the stock latex seals fatigued to the point of needing to be replaced. The second set of wrist seals is a heavier latex material that does not leak on work dives even without the rubber bands.

Oh, by the way, I'm partial to the broccoli bands for a couple of reasons: 1) I really like broccoli; and, 2) Living in the Salinas Valley, broccoli is quite abundant!

For those with the major wrist tendon issue, here is an even easier fix. Just pull the seal up higher onto your forearm where the tendons drop below the muscle, the are mis smooth -- no leaks.

MontereyCADiver:
I dive in a DUI CLx450 and my original wrist seals leaked, too. HOWEVER, the leaking was not because of a faulty DUI product. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY DUI CLx450 DRY-SUIT!

Most of my diving is in the exhibits at the Monterey Bay Aquarium for maintenance purposes (e.g. window cleaning, siphoning, etc.) The maintenance often requires the use of a strong grip on the underwater tools. For me, that firm grip causes the tendons in my wrists to create enough of gap to allow water into the sleeves of the suit.

How did I stop the leaking? Don't laugh, but someone suggest I place thick rubber bands over my latex seals while performing 'work' dives; and, IT WORKED! I used the wide/thick rubber bands commonly found on bunches of broccoli. Perhaps this wasn’t the best method to prevent leaks on dry-suit seals, but it worked for me.

Eventually, however, the stock latex seals fatigued to the point of needing to be replaced. The second set of wrist seals is a heavier latex material that does not leak on work dives even without the rubber bands.

Oh, by the way, I'm partial to the broccoli bands for a couple of reasons: 1) I really like broccoli; and, 2) Living in the Salinas Valley, broccoli is quite abundant!

When I started diving dry about six years ago I told a cave instructor about the wrist seal leak. He suggested wide rubber bands. They worked great and do not interfere with with diving in any way.

The theory of leaking wrist seals caused by the tendons in the wrist makes a lot of sense, particularly because it only happens when you are not wearing dry gloves, but why would it be only the left arm? A wet left arm only usually means some water is entering the suit through the left shoulder dump valve. Even though it enters above the elbow, it tends to run down your arm and collect at the wrist seals, so it can look like a leaky wrist seal. The leaky dump valve is often the result of under-inflating the dry suit. But why would this happen only when you don't wear dry gloves? I'm not sure you've gotten to the bottom of this yet.

having issues with a new d7 waterproof suit. When I bought it, both seals had tiny holes (noticed after a few dives) shop gave me replacement seals. Still can feel a bit of water coming in, think its the tendons as its both hands and for sure not the vent.
ny
I can buy some BARE silicone seals here at my LDS, small and med. at 50 euro's a pop!!! after buying the suit 100 euro is not something I feel like spending! Any advise???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom