Leaking Blurfix on GoPro Hero2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bratface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After six dives with my Blurfix flat lens, I got water between the housing and Blurfix. I took the filter off, rinsed in clear water, dried it and replaced the desiccant balls. I then put a scant amount of lube on on the o-ring and replaced the filter that came with the Blurfix.

I went diving 2 days later and the same thing happened. Naturally, I am having some focusing issues with the flooded space behind the flat lens. I am very thankful that SNP adds the flat lens to the housing and doesn't require removal of the original lens or I might have lost my camera to the housing flooding.

The Blurfix was placed on the camera in a non-humid, air conditioned environment by my buddy who owns his dive shop and repairs gear so I am sure he did it correctly.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I would like to know what you did to fix it if you had the same problem. I intend to contact them for advice, but would appreciate hearing from others this has happened to.

Are you sure you set the silicone sealant on there nicely? I'd remove the blurfix frame (held on with the 6 screws), and peel off the silicone, and re-set it.

Right Howard. I have considered that. Probably is the best thing to do and test the housing again. Of course, I have known my buddy for some time, and being a man--and the one who put the Blurfix on--, he did it right the first time. :rofl3:

Since your buddy owns a dive shop, maybe he has a pressure test box and can pressure test it for you(without camera). When it leaks, maybe he will see his way to redo the seal. I've found that taking time to smear the silicone really well and around the screw holes plus tightening the screws in a star pattern like lug nuts on a car wheel and then placing the assembly face down on a towel and applying some more even pressure to the back and then you probably get another turn of the screws and also take the back off and look to see if there are any voids; works.

Since your buddy owns a dive shop, maybe he has a pressure test box and can pressure test it for you(without camera). When it leaks, maybe he will see his way to redo the seal. I've found that taking time to smear the silicone really well and around the screw holes plus tightening the screws in a star pattern like lug nuts on a car wheel and then placing the assembly face down on a towel and applying some more even pressure to the back and then you probably get another turn of the screws and also take the back off and look to see if there are any voids; works.

"Silicone" above refers to adhesive not grease Thanks KKFOK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom