Olympus PT059 (TG6) Housing leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ToldToo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have done around 400 dives with my PT059 (TG6 Housing) and I am currently trying to find a leak in housing. The leaking as begun after returning from a couple of wreck dives (30 mts). Next dives were shallow 12 -15mts and the housing took a reasonable amount of water (far more than some drips) The O ring is 4 months old and regularly inspected and cleaned, Ive already tried cleaning and slightly siliconing it with no success. Then replaced O ring with a new one, housing still leaks. Then replaced with the O ring from my wifes PT059 housing O ring (which doesn't leak), still leaked. I have used the tissue paper trick in the pool and find the tissue is wettest around the control buttons. Dived today to 11mts with tissue paper instead of the camera and the paper came out soaked. I can't seem to find anyone who may service this housing (Australia) any ideas please..

The typical cost of servicing a housing being several hundred dollars, it simply isn't worthwhile for a housing that costs $299 new. It's a different story for $3000-5000+ aluminum jobs, but for a plastic PT-059... you can try taking apart the control buttons, washing and greasing their internal o-rings and putting them back together, but you'll probably end up needing a new housing. At 400 dives, it has delivered a pretty good value.

The typical cost of servicing a housing being several hundred dollars, it simply isn't worthwhile for a housing that costs $299 new.

I got mine serviced and pressure tested by Olympus Service in Taiwan for less than US$60 including shipping. Of course I am in Taiwan.
I did around 700 dives on mine since bough new till being serviced. Last dive trip I had a couple of drops of water inside after some dives.

Yeah, if it's not the O-ring (which you've checked!) it may just be time for a new housing. I find the O-rings last about 100-150 dives before developing little leaks that develop into catastrophic floods.

I've done around 250 dives on mine. Had to replace the O-ring once, and its looking like its time again to get a new O-ring. Recently been to 39m with no sign of water.

I also took the housing down to 50m once without thinking about its depth rating - no leaks, and housing & camera were fine; I was pretty impressed and wouldn't have been salty if they *had* leaked - that was pure user error.

Thanks for your replies.
Have had a win "so far" filled both inside sections with fresh water and let soak overnight. Then worked the buttons continuously while the water was still there and allowed to air dry for three days. Again cleaned the O ring and so far no leaks down to 18mts. I am thinking the button O rings may have had microscopic grit on them. Again thanks for your comments

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom