LDS Won't + 10% Fill Plus Rated Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
Long story short. I have 4 lp tanks. 2 LP72 and 2 LP95 are not plus rated (I didn't know this was a thing when I picked them up). 2 LP72's that were just hydroed came back plus rated. I pointed to the plus rating but was told that a tank can only be plus rated for the first 5 years from its birth? He also said the hydro tester they used should have not plus rated them? Is he completely mistaken or did I miss something about plus ratings on scubaboard?

He’s right and wrong. If the cylinder isn’t rated for a + rating, one cannot be assigned. But if it was assigned a + rating at manufacture, it may be maintained.

So your plus rating is no good because the cylinders were never assigned one. What are the steel 95’s? I’ve never heard of one without a + rating?

Here is a good thread.... 10% overfill / Plus + rating on Steel LP tanks

If you are stressing about overfilling your tanks it is time for a bigger tank. And maybe a pony bottle if you think you might be pushing it in to the red.

So your plus rating is no good because the cylinders were never assigned one. What are the steel 95’s? I’ve never heard of one without a + rating?

The original date is plus rated on all four tanks or is there something I missing.

72 in question

IMG_09241-scaled-e1594428282219.jpg

IMG_09251-scaled-e1594428305238.jpg

Here is one of the 95's. Never plus rated after the original date

IMG_09261-scaled.jpg

One of the 72's that were not plus rated.

IMG_09271-scaled-e1594428243198.jpg

If you are stressing about overfilling your tanks it is time for a bigger tank. And maybe a pony bottle if you think you might be pushing it in to the red.

Not the issue at all. I just was under the impression the plus +10% is how you actually got the rated cubic feet. So my lp95 will never be 95 due to no plus rating on last hydro. I actually like the 72's. They were great when we had a babysitter for a limited time so a quick 45 minute dive with the lp72 works out well. I have been looking for more locally.

Attachments

• IMG_09241-scaled.jpg
    IMG_09241-scaled.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_09251-scaled.jpg
    IMG_09251-scaled.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_09271-scaled-e1594428184402.jpg
    IMG_09271-scaled-e1594428184402.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 53
@Dubious you should also see if you can get the records for the testing on the lp95s to see if they actually failed the criteria for the plus per the REE or if the shop just didn't have the info

the REE can be calculated per CGA C-5 if you were suitably inclined like @Luis H
Ah. I had no idea. Always good to learn a thing

I just bought hp cylinders instead. The weight to gas ratio on low pressure cylinders is not in my favor.

Back
Top Bottom