LDS vs The Burst Disk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The LDS had no business tearing apart your valve. It was new. They owe you a new replacement one. That's complete BS that they did that. To me, it's clear that's a 4500 PSI disc. Burst pressure. The discs in my LP95 cylinders are marked 3000 PSI WP (working pressure). My other LP cylinders have 3500 or 4000 PSI discs.

Therein lies my problem. My LDS has a very good rep around my area, and Randy has a good rep on SB, and so far my experience agrees. So here I am kind of jammed in the middle.

I'm "concerned" about the lack of parts, or published materials for that matter, but the issue that exploded was regarding filling it. I've gone back to get the valve, and my LDS is perfectly happy to hydro/viz the bottle with its old thermo valve. I'll just re-swap valves after and fill it from my back gas as I'd intended when I bought it - after all, 13cf will barely dent the 130cf I dive with. Saves me the cost of a $8 fill in a teeny bottle.
You are unlikely to ever find that burst disk or plug (with the correct rating printed on it) around to replace it. Just filling it yourself with a transfill whip is fine for now but its a gimmicky valve so parts availability is always going to be sketchy. You might want to get a parts kit now, but could have a problem finding a local dealer to actually overhaul the regulator portion. Or just consider it disposable and when the IP creeps or the burst disk corrodes and leaks just toss it.

Consider this line just stolen, for use in my day job. Thanks!

I originally came across it in a usenet post in the 1980s from Andy Tanenbaum and have been using it ever since. I don't know if he came up with it himself or not.

A burst disc that supports an extra 250 psi of pressure is fine - mine are all greater than that standard of 5/3s of rated pressure. I’d find a new LDS
Exactly what I was thinking. Time to shop around for a new LDS.

Don't throw a fit in the shop and burn your bridges before you find another shop just in case you can't!

Did the LDS not have valve in the store you could've bought? Seems to me that would have saved some headache.

Did the LDS not have valve in the store you could've bought? Seems to me that would have saved some headache.
Many shops don't have anything other than standard items. Which is why online stores do so well.

Yes, I am intimately aware of this. I run a local shop. Did the local shop not have something that fit his needs?

Interesting, but unrelated - my LDS will fill a pony for free as a gesture of appreciation for safe diving practice.
Can I send you my Pony when it’s in need of a fill?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom