LDS vs online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I buy online because in a small place like this, the LDSs don't carry remotely the selection and stocks of gear you need.

hmmm.. You may want to realize that the only person that makes your diving safer is YOU.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on this point, but what I meant is that when I in a new place, at least I can rely on my LDS owner to tell me which shop is ok and which one is not, which site is safe for someone with my (small) experience because he always visits the shops and most of the dive sites on his own before organizing an official trip... But again, you're totally right!

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough!

This has been my experience as well for the most part with a few exceptions. Why pay my LDS twice the price to go to Bonaire so I can hang out with a bunch of vacation divers who complain to much????

To each his own, as long as YOU are happy.:wink:

I have a really simple question.
Can the LDS shop afford to stay open if they are only filling tanks?
I bet it's tough to buy air on the internet.

Lots of businesses open with great plans and find the cost of maintaining a store front to be prohibitive. Low volumn sales means higher markups are required but with the likes of ebay, the world is our oyster, not the storefront seller....except for air.

Lots of businesses open with great plans and find the cost of maintaining a store front to be prohibitive. Low volumn sales means higher markups are required but with the likes of ebay, the world is our oyster, not the storefront seller....except for air.

I think you are missing the point. People are willing to pay for the value they receive. I've pretty much gone 100% online for my stuff. The shops in area aren't run well. It takes 5 weeks to get regs serviced. You have to beg for a price on gear because it's never marked. The place is unorganized. If they don't have what you want they make a fuss ordering it for you.

As an example, when I wanted to get into doubles I stopped by the shop and told them what I wanted. They said that they didn't have it in but would check out pricing and call me. I called a day later and they didn't have the information. I waited a few more days awaiting a call. Since I was not contacted I called again and was told they had the prices but "was real busy and they would call me back in ah hour." That was April. I still haven't had a call back.

I did, however call Tobin at Deep Sea Supply and he spent 45 minutes talking to me about the buoyancy charteristics of my current set up and logical choices of options within his line. He got $500 of my business right then and there. I've since bought a 2nd rig from him.

Also to note, I bought 2 sets of regs, a new drysuit, a set up LP95, manifold, bands, and a can light to support my move to doubles. All of this was done online. The LDS missed about $5,000 worth of sales because time and again they were either 'too busy' or never called back. I wonder how they stay open.

It's all about value. My money isn't growing on trees. I'll spend it where I get value.

hmmm.. You may want to realize that the only person that makes your diving safer is YOU.

If that's the case you need to do a better job picking your buddies.

I buy from my LDS if they have what I want in stock. If they carry a brand and model of something I need I buy it from them. If they don't I buy it online or elsewhere. My LDS doesn't carry tusa, and I like tusa masks and snorkles. They can order things for me, but it's easier to just order online from someone who carry that item in stock, it ends up being about the same price when shipping & tax is factored in, but I don't want to wait for an employee to get around to doing purchase orders, plus they probably wait until they need a few things from that supplier to save on shipping. When I needed (not wanted) a new wing I would still be waiting...

Just enough LDS's will stay open allowing me to get air because divers like you will continue to pay for bad service and high priced gear and trips to Bonaire that cost $1500 more than I can book them myself for. Thanks. :wink: (just Joking mostly)

Now I was mostly just teasing in my first paragraph here but honestly the answer is the same one I gave before....To each his own, whatever makes YOU (as in you or me or he or she) happy.:D If you have a good LDS and are happy there, I am happy for you, really.

You wanna know what (IMHO) is the best LDS in my area? Leisure Pro, and they don't even do air fills.:eyebrow: Besides, air fills can be had at more than just a LDS for your information.

All that said, I could pay maybe 20 bucks more for a knife at a LDS but I stop at a 50% increase in a vacation that I have no say say in. I prefer to book and have control over my own vacation and I understand that some don't and that's cool too. I personally like to pick my room, dive sites, dive locations, dive op, food joint, rental car agency, etc...I enjoy it! Happy diving.:D

Just enough LDS's will stay open allowing me to get air because divers like you will continue to pay for bad service and high priced gear and trips to Bonaire that cost $1500 more than I can book them myself for. Thanks. :wink: (just Joking mostly)

Now I was mostly just teasing in my first paragraph here but honestly the answer is the same one I gave before....To each his own, whatever makes YOU (as in you or me or he or she) happy.:D If you have a good LDS and are happy there, I am happy for you, really.

You wanna know what (IMHO) is the best LDS in my area? Leisure Pro, and they don't even do air fills.:eyebrow: Besides, air fills can be had at more than just a LDS for your information.

All that said, I could pay maybe 20 bucks more for a knife at a LDS but I stop at a 50% increase in a vacation that I have no say say in. I prefer to book and have control over my own vacation and I understand that some don't and that's cool too. I personally like to pick my room, dive sites, dive locations, dive op, food joint, rental car agency, etc...I enjoy it! Happy diving.:D

And I agree with everything you said. I think if I was to open an LDS these days, I'd have a very simple plan. Nothing but air and lessons. If my business model relied on the profitfrom sales, I'd be too eager to jack the price up. If you don't have inventory (which costs a lot) then you order in everything. Then the customer might as well order online and at least get savings.

The question put another way then. Given that a bricks and mortar store costs more to keep open than an internet based one, what would you all suggest the LDS do? I would think that selling online as well would be a first step.

As far as where to get air... I was lucky for a few years in that I got fills from a firefighter friend but I don't know of other sources.

The question put another way then. Given that a bricks and mortar store costs more to keep open than an internet based one, what would you all suggest the LDS do? I would think that selling online as well would be a first step.

I threw out this question a while ago, but never got any replies.

Gear over the internet is clearly the way of the future, even if all the manufacturers haven't caved in yet. Progress is inevitable. So what to do for an LDS? Margins on teaching and air fills are probably just not high enough to sustain a bricks and mortar operation (although if trimix evers goes mainstream, the price of helium might just about make margins feasible).

My guess would be service technicians will make up the balance of the funds. As gear gets more complex, it is increasingly less feasible to self service. And once rebreathers become ubiquitous (and I am guessing that they will, eventually), that will be where some of the money will get made (or the losses staunched, depending on your level of optimism).

However, I think the old adage will probably remain true for a long time: the only way to make a small fortune running a dive store is to start with a large fortune.

But in the old days, when my Dad started diving, there were no LDSs, and the diving still got done. People either had their own compressors or humped their tanks down to industrial operators to get them filled. No one had heard of C-Cards in those days. I am not sure it was "the good ole' days" exactly, but somehow we will all find a way to keep getting wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom