LDS vs online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My local LDS went out of their way for me. I will always return the favor.

Yup, I agree... I even had a private cert because I couldn't attend the official one. I guess they owed me that after I bought my entire new gear there... :wink:

Heck when the owner looks at me and says "You really do not need that" losing a $50-$100 sale says everything.

Well, if the LDS keeps their customers happy they know they'll probably come back... I know if someone tries to sell me something I don't need I'll go somewhere else next time.

of course you feel funny about it - basically you are cheating on your LDS with another man/woman/supplier :wink:

you feel guilty, you feel dishonest and you might feel a little bit dirty... but as the marvelous Ms Dolly said; money is like manure, it should be spread around so be honest with your LDS and see if they can cut you a deal. Ask for some add ins (ie fill card with a new tank or course or equip with a major purchase) to try to make it worth your while

you never know if you dont ask and if they cant help at least you were up front with them and you can save your pennys by buying elsewhere

cheers and good luck

Wow, I almost feel like I'm in a therapy! :wink: Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get a few free fills with my next purchase! Anyways, I always wandered, is it pretty expensive to run a compressor or is it just their main way to make money?

I think a good (and reliable) shop is hard to find, especially in my area (Quebec) where the diving population is smaller than in warmer areas, and since business doesn't always look easy I always feel like I should support them instead of buying online...

It's a tough call. If you're getting a level of service that justifies the higher costs then you're still getting good value. On the other hand if your LDS acts like they're doing you a favour by letting you enter their hallowed halls its a different story.

I sort of compromised on some stuff. I ended buying my BC and reg from an authorized dealer in Montreal (Action Scuba) that had great prices and is close enough that service is not an issue (I saved about $400 on the reg, octo & console). I bought my tanks locally - one LDS here in Ottawa offers free refills with a tank purchase and their prices are very competitive. I've bought a number of smaller items on-line (wetsuit, spare ask etc) and saved a lot of $$ on them.

I run a small business and have a lot of sympathy for other small business owners but I'm also painfully aware that we live in a competitive marketplace and success requires adaptation and innovation.

Last edited:
I dont like "planned" dive trips because I can do the same thing and usually come out with an experience tuned for me. I dont do this sport to meet people or hang out.

Me neither, I usually prefer to organize my trips myself. But I consider diving differently. Maybe it's just my lack of experience, but I think my LDS can plan a dive trip way better than me and make me discover new places, make contact with a good LDS where we're going and make my trip safer in general...

to my LDS... and I'll pay "a little more" for an item bought through them for the same item elsewhere... ( a little more being approx. 15%, NOT 30-60%). If my LDS cant come within' that 15% magic number he's gonna have to try to shore up his side of the deal a bit in Other ways... air fills, class discounts, whathaveyou...

for items I want that he doesnt carry ? thats a no-brainer... get what you want.

I don't mind making him my first stop, but he's gotta show me he's willing to work for my business.

Anyways, I always wandered, is it pretty expensive to run a compressor or is it just their main way to make money?

It's a break even at best likely. Starter compressor systems start in the $5,000 range and go up from there. Cost to maintain the compressor isn't something to sneeze at either.

rather than having anyone post this question again, it should just be a tab right from the start ... at the top ...

HOME FORUM ARTICLES LDS vs INTERNET Photo Gallery Classifieds Buddy Finder

I dont feel the same.
I actually don't use locals anymore because I feel they are cheating me out of my $.

I don't like "planned" dive trips because I can do the same thing and usually come out with an experience tuned for me. I don't do this sport to meet people or hang out. I do it to spend time underwater.

This has been my experience as well for the most part with a few exceptions. Why pay my LDS twice the price to go to Bonaire so I can hang out with a bunch of vacation divers who complain to much????

To each his own, as long as YOU are happy.:wink:

I will try and stay with my dive shop. When I actaully was buying equipment, my shop walked me through the different styles of BC's, Regulator's, Second Stages, and computers and asked me questions about my kind of diving. They ensured I didn't get more than I needed, and took the time to help and answer my dumb questions. So I figure that I will support them as much as possible.

Me neither, I usually prefer to organize my trips myself. But I consider diving differently. Maybe it's just my lack of experience, but I think my LDS can plan a dive trip way better than me and make me discover new places, make contact with a good LDS where we're going and make my trip safer in general...

hmmm.. You may want to realize that the only person that makes your diving safer is YOU.

Had a friend reciently take an AOW class at the LDS... the list of items required to take the class was unreal. One of the items was a dive knife.... so the student goes in to buy the knife... ends up getting sold a titanium dive knife.... uggg.. ok, yes they are nice... however during the class the the knife was NEVER used ONCE nor even talked about. So in this case, to me the LDS went too far to make a buck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom