LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
and have the integrity to not use the LDS as the grey market source's fitting room.

Integrity is a two way street. I believe in being fair and honest with any LDS that is fair and honest with me.

I've had more bad experiences with my LDS than my IDS. I'm pretty much done buying equipment from my LDS. I'll go for fills but that's it. For fit, I'm pretty much an off the rack guy. I ordered 4 wetsuits from LP and kept the one that fit the best and sent the rest back. Even with shipping both ways, it's much less expensive than the LDS. I get better equipment for less money.

1RUSTYRIG:
I have heard this more than once now (life saving/preserving/dependant gear) and I don't understand the rationale behind it. If you buy a Zeagle reg from your LDS how does it differ from a Zeagle reg bought from Scuba.com or Scubatoys.com? The only thing I can think of is that the online outfitters don't have the same reg sitting in a dusty display case for 6 months before someone buys it.

Additionaly, when I purchased my Outback BCD from Scuba.com they told me at time of purchase that I could return it to the store for credit if I didn't like it (I think they stipulated that it must be dove fresh water only).

As far as service goes, I look at my dive gear like I look at my car: Do It Yourself. And if time or skill doesn't permit take it to the LDS. I don't get the philosophy that gear must be serviced where it was bought. Either the dive shop is competent in repairs or they aren't.

My dos centavos:

Your reg and BC should be serviced at least once per year - and the reg should be serviced by a QUALIFIED person. You probably don't have the tools, and for sure you don't have the free parts that are included in the service kit the manufacturer provides to their authorized distributors.

My LDS (Atlantis Scuba) does this, and since they're an authorized dealer, the replacement parts are included, so all I pay is the labor.

If there is an upgrade, you get it included

If Kevin (the LDS owner) moves on to another life, I still have my warranties, and I can keep this up for the life of the gear. I've done the math, and the break-even on service parts vs internet savings is about at the 2nd year service interval.

If I decide to upgrade, it's very easy to talk about a trade-in

By supporting my LDS, I also get discounts on dive trips, which is what I bought the gear for in the first place.

Other stuff (gadgets) - shop the internet, ask your LDS if they'll match - they'll often be close, and you're not paying shipping

If you're lucky, scubatoys is within driving distance, and you can have the best of both.

Mark

I use both my LDS(s) and the online sites. I bought most of my "main" equipment from my LDS because I like Scubapro and they don't sell online. However, when my LDS offers to order the wetsuit that I've been renting for $280 and I can buy it online for $150, I have trouble justifing that.
I also go to a couple different LDS(s) in my area. When it comes down to it, it's still money coming out of my pocket. I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting great and competitive service from your LDSs.

I recently ordered a few things from Larry at Scuba toys and he was great. The prices were great, the order got there when he said it would, and he gave me 10% off for mentioning ScubaBoard. I think they provide great customer service and are more than willing to answer any questions.

awap:
Integrity is a two way street. I believe in being fair and honest with any LDS that is fair and honest with me.

Perhaps I've been fortunate. I know of only one shop in the greater Phoenix area that is, at least IMHO, unscrupulous. OTOH, I have met many, many custumers that either took advantage of the LDS or had outright unreasonable expectations.

I think that it is fair to ask an LDS why one should purchase from them rather than a grey market internet source. I think that it is unreasonable to expect them to compete with prices from such a place. It turns my stomach to see some folks come in and take up hours of an LDS's time knowing all the while that they are planning on buying all this stuff from LP. Last time I looked, LP didn't sign my check. (Just making a point...I don't draw a check from my LDS, either.)

[/QUOTE]I recently ordered a few things from Larry at Scuba toys and he was great. The prices were great, the order got there when he said it would, and he gave me 10% off for mentioning ScubaBoard. I think they provide great customer service and are more than willing to answer any questions.[/QUOTE]

Amen. Just ordered a wetsuit from ScubaToys. Great customer sevice, and yes the 10% SB discount is true. That is the perfect model of a LDS/IDS combo IMO.

Great, shop amazon for your tanks fills.

My point is this, if you don't support at least one local dive shop then you're sol for fills and many other things. I'm fortunate that most local divers support the shop I instruct for. We treat loyal customers as though we appreciate them.

The internet shoppers? We fill their tanks of course, last. We repair their equipment, last and of course without discounts. We even will assemble their LP equipment for them and test it, for a price and of course they get to dive in our pool, if they pay.

We love them all, but we appreciate the loyal customers. :)

I actually live on a caribbean island where there is virtually no LDS. I buy a lot of my stuff from the internet. Guys like Scubatoys / Larry & Co really offer excellent service - will replace items even if you ordered the wrong ones - will send spare parts if any issue at all.
I just placed an order today, and as they hadnt everything in stock, the rest of the order will be shipped directly from the manufacturer to my address. no waisted time.

given that great experience, not sure I'll buy much more from an LDS, if ever I get close to one again. price is not the only benefit.

eric

Just purchase your own compressor to fill your tanks. I support my LDS to buy trips and minor items. I purchased my tanks with them and receive free air fills since I bought them there. They are aware of where I received my gear from and never have treated me differently. I can use their pool anytime I want. The customer service at my LDS is excellent! They do not clasify their customers by where they purchase their gear, everyone is treated equally. I even brought in my octo to them that I bought on-line for them to put together for me and they did....free of charge! Unfortunently there are business out there that hold it against you if you do not purchase your equipment with them. Shops like this need to close their doors! because they are not customer oriented. Maybe some shops need to come up with constructive ways to compete with the internet or offer frequent buyer discounts etc. It is the inability of the LDS to be innovative in their business decisions not the customers that purchase their items on the net. There is a major difference in being "loyal" and making a wise purchase. Just bacause the shop is in business why should one be obligated to buy all of their equipment at the shop to keep their doors open? It is up to the business owners to RUN their business and keep their doors open themselves by making WISE business decisions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom