LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shopping, buying, whether locally or on the 'net will always have pros and cons.. (debated MANY times on these forums)

My LDS provides services that cannot be matched online... If you buy your gear there (and they try to match prices VERY competitively)..

You will receive:

Free loaner equipment while repairs / maint. is being performed
Free air fills
Great advice, and friendly service..

If you buy your stuff on-line (or another shop) then you pay for air, you pay for maintenance, and you do not recieve free loaner equipment.. but you are free to rent in the meantime.

I have recently gotten back into diving after a 20 year absence, purchased most of my equipment off internet from ScubaToys.com. I can't say enough good things about these guys,....great selection, great price, great customer service, super-fast order processing. I live near Houston, I can order my stuff on Monday afternoon and have it in hand by Tuesday afternoon. I would highly recommend ScubaToys to anyone.

I find that my LDS is usually fairly competitive when it comes to gear prices. I don't have a problem with paying a few dollars more at the LDS when I know I get good customer support/service and I can just stop by and shoot the breeze.

That being said, I have also purchased various misc. gear (gadgets, clips, wetsuit, cases, etc) via the internet. As long as you do your research/know what you want and are clear on the warranty/return and customer service you can find some decent places to do business with on the internet.

JKSteger:
I use my "prefered" LDS for all my "life perserving" equipment
Jeremy

I have heard this more than once now (life saving/preserving/dependant gear) and I don't understand the rationale behind it. If you buy a Zeagle reg from your LDS how does it differ from a Zeagle reg bought from Scuba.com or Scubatoys.com? The only thing I can think of is that the online outfitters don't have the same reg sitting in a dusty display case for 6 months before someone buys it.

Additionaly, when I purchased my Outback BCD from Scuba.com they told me at time of purchase that I could return it to the store for credit if I didn't like it (I think they stipulated that it must be dove fresh water only).

As far as service goes, I look at my dive gear like I look at my car: Do It Yourself. And if time or skill doesn't permit take it to the LDS. I don't get the philosophy that gear must be serviced where it was bought. Either the dive shop is competent in repairs or they aren't.

Wife and I bought our regs from the LDS, her wetsuit (great deal 2-piece 7 mil $75), our masks and her snorkle. We will probably buy the tanks there too, we get free air fills for a year. Bought my wetsuit on line (Scubatoys) and will probably order our BCs and computers on line too. Why, because my LDS doesn't carry the brand we want to buy and the Internet is so much cheaper. So I vote for both.

Last week I got a phone call Thursday night to go on a rig dive trip bright and early Friday. Cause my tanks were still empty for the trip the weekend before I needed air. Being that I was already running late I didn't think I was going to be able to get air. But my LDS was nice enough to stay open until I get to the shop. A week before a buddy lost his speargun and the shop stayed open late so he could get a new gun and even rigged it for him so he would be ready to dive the next morning. I don't think you can get internet shop to rig a gun for you so you don't miss the boat the next morning.

Yall keep using the internet shop. I will use my LDS cause they offer alot more than gear and have become more like friends and not a gear seller. Often time I just go in there and BS and nerve think about buy anything.

Just consider, when those local dive shops close because of the internet prices who wins?

My last fill was 3200 psi and free. I would by no means call myself
a regular at the LDS. I think service goes a long way.

bronce32:
First let me say that I believe in supporting my LDS, however there are an increasing number of internet scuba dealers popping up. They offer warranties and very good prices. Has anyone had any experiences with internet scuba dealers good or bad?

Thanks

We purchased all of our equipment online through a company in Florida. We have had no issues and received warranty's as well and yes the prices were excellent compared to the LDS. I use our LDS to purchase "some trips" and simple items. I like my LDS however I am going to shop for the best deal and take it. I am not going to pay my LDS's light bill just to keep them around. The old air fill addage is BS..so let me see ..I will pay 75.00 more then what I can get on the internet because I need them for airfills? Do you know how funny that sounds? My LDS treats everyone very well including myself and they are aware that I did not buy my equipment with their shop. If they do not treat everyone well regardless of where their equipment was purchased then yes, their doors need to close. I love my LDS and I have their cell numbers if I need anything after hours also. I dive with most of the employees with my LDS.

I do both. I have no problems with supporting my LDS except that my "closest" dive shop is located an hour's drive away from me. "Shopping around" means I'd have to drive another 30 minutes into the next big city! Thus I cannot visit any dive shops during the work week, and have to fit such visits on a Saturday when they are open (for a limited amount of time). So for me, it is just easier to "look for things" on line. If I can, I will try to see if my local shop carries it (and I'll buy it from them), but they only carry a certain number of brands.

This was not always the case for me. I bought most of my gear from a more local dive shop before it went out of business. So I am accutely aware of what it's like to see a dive shop close its doors. However, I am not going to hold myself hostage to the limited gear my next-LDS carries. I still use them for filling tanks (my EtherFill 5000 hasn't arrived yet) and I still book trips through them when I want to do something fun.

I do both and I can still sleep at night! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom