LDS and buying gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've settled on the LDS that I want to take my OW cert. with. He came highly recommended from people on this board and seems like a nice guy. It's time for me to buy my personal gear. The problem is that he carries brands that don't seem like the best. I want good fins and the best he has is the Aqua Lung V-Tek. They don't seem as nice as Scubapro and Apollo and he still wants $145 for them.

I guess my question is : will a lds or instructor be upset if you come to class with gear bought elsewhere? I'd buy from them if they had brands I liked. I would seriously consider buying items that needed to fitted or serviced often.

Mostly, the requirement is that you have stuff suited for scuba, not free diving. If they get upset that you bought some of it somewhere else, that's not very professional. I have heard of some shops copping real attitudes about this, but I think most are not going to give you any static.

I would not care for a shop that does.

ckjacques53198:
I've settled on the LDS that I want to take my OW cert. with. He came highly recommended from people on this board and seems like a nice guy. It's time for me to buy my personal gear. The problem is that he carries brands that don't seem like the best. I want good fins and the best he has is the Aqua Lung V-Tek. They don't seem as nice as Scubapro and Apollo and he still wants $145 for them.

I guess my question is : will a lds or instructor be upset if you come to class with gear bought elsewhere? I'd buy from them if they had brands I liked. I would seriously consider buying items that needed to fitted or serviced often.

If you are talking about AQUA CENTER they are a good store with fine instruction, not an internet site but they do carry good gear. The Aqua-Lung V-Tek is made by Apollo for Aqua-Lung. The V-Tek is manufactured from high grade polyurethane and is a very good version of the split fin technology. Of course, I'll put in a plug for our fin and SP does a good job as well. You would not go wrong with the AL V-TEK.

ckjacques53198:

No shop stays open selling certs, usually it's a loss leader. Will they be upset? Sure. They make money selling gear. Will they take it out on you? Probably not but you aren't scoring points with them. Most shops have incentives to purchase from them.

If your LDS gets upset at you the customer because you bought gear somewhere else, cancel your class and seek training somewhere else. Do not, I repeat, do not buy gear from your LDS or anyone else for that matter unless it is what your are looking for. Don't be pushed into a bad gear decision because your LDS has an economic interest in pushing a certain brand name!
Your LDS and your instructor are only part of the decision on what gear to get. Talk to othere divers, read, research, ask online, talk to your instructor and then choose.

Point to ponder: If you were taking driving lessons at your local chevy dealer what kinda car do you think they're going to Rx?

ps. I gave my LDS the opportunity to match the prices on the fins I wanted, they did, so they got my business.

Most shops can supply gear from at least some other brands than the ones they happen to have in stock. You should at least ask if they can get the brand that you would like to buy before going elsewhere.

theskull

theskull:
Most shops can supply gear from at least some other brands than the ones they happen to have in stock. You should at least ask if they can get the brand that you would like to buy before going elsewhere.

theskull

...and ask them to match or come close to a place like Scubatoys or other internet shop. Be reasonable, they do have a business to run. They should be reasonable too.

I guess I'm being a little cautious. I first bought a mask from another LDS that sold their products like they were selling used cars. I bought a scubapro crystal vu mask with a purge valve. The salesman was also an instructor/owner who had the same mask. Said it was great for clearing that last bit of water left in the mask. The cheaper masks were mentioned in passing. I've been using it pools and snorkeling and have some regrets. The mask would be perfect without the purge valve. It seems very well made but have to work a little to squeeze my nose to equalize my ears.

I have a Crystalvue. Mine does not have a purge. I don't think I ever saw one with a purge. On balance I like the mask quite a lot, I just wish it had a black skirt, as I mostly spearfish.

ckjacques53198:
I guess I'm being a little cautious. I first bought a mask from another LDS that sold their products like they were selling used cars. I bought a scubapro crystal vu mask with a purge valve. The salesman was also an instructor/owner who had the same mask. Said it was great for clearing that last bit of water left in the mask. The cheaper masks were mentioned in passing. I've been using it pools and snorkeling and have some regrets. The mask would be perfect without the purge valve. It seems very well made but have to work a little to squeeze my nose to equalize my ears.

Sometimes the purge valve gets in the way of equalizing. If its a problem I'd be inclined to return it for a non purge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom