LDS and buying gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
No shop stays open selling certs, usually it's a loss leader. Will they be upset? Sure. They make money selling gear. Will they take it out on you? Probably not but you aren't scoring points with them. Most shops have incentives to purchase from them.

With all due respect Al, taking scuba lessons does not imply or express any sort of contract to purchase gear from the LDS that the class is being taken. I understand the lessons may be a loss leader but that is not his problem or mine.

Al Mialkovsky:
... Probably not but you aren't scoring points with them..

Why does the customer need to "score points" with the business?

It seems to me the business should be trying to "win over" and keep the customer happy.

The SCUBA business seems to be the only one doing this??

As to the original question.

Do your research
Try the stuff on (if possible) especially with booties, fins, wetsuit ,etc..
Buy what YOU want, not what the shop happens to sell.

novicediver:
With all due respect Al, taking scuba lessons does not imply or express any sort of contract to purchase gear from the LDS that the class is being taken. I understand the lessons may be a loss leader but that is not his problem or mine.
I'm not the one who asked questions about how the shop might feel. I also never implied there was a contract, where'd ya come up with that one?
countryboy:
Why does the customer need to "score points" with the business?

It seems to me the business should be trying to "win over" and keep the customer happy.

The SCUBA business seems to be the only one doing this??

As to the original question.

It was just my opinion. He chose a shop for instruction and wondered how they might feel if he showed up with another shops gear. I'm not saying that's how I feel. I just answered his question.

Why should he want to "score points"? Many shops have a preferred customer program. The one I instruct for does. It doesn't require buying everything from the shop but those who buy systems certainly get special treatment that someone who only bought a mouthpiece or got instruction from wouldn't be entitled to.

Some of you guys just crack me up :)

When I certified, my LDS carries SP and Oceanic, however the masks that he carries did not fit. As fit is extremely important in any piece of gear, especially the mask, I purchased an Aqua-Lung from a competitor. I got the normal BS from the LDS owner but that was it. My next purchase was a BC/Alt Air Source which I purchased from Derek on SB and my LDS actually showed me how to service the AIR2 and said that he would service it.

Obviously he would like me to purchase SP products, which I plan on anyway, but his concern is more to be safe and have fun! :)

If your LDS is being a prick, go somewhere else, either for your certs, equipment or both! If that is the kind of treatment you will get for equipment, then think about your long term service experiences.

My $.02!! :)

Bill

theskull:
Most shops can supply gear from at least some other brands than the ones they happen to have in stock. You should at least ask if they can get the brand that you would like to buy before going elsewhere.

Just what I do. I give my LDS the priority in matching my wants. If they can fulfill it, I am happy to get the gears from them. If not, there's no bad feelings what so ever as they knew they have to let go the business opportunities for their reasons.

I am lucky coz they have policies in which they can order any brands of gears for their customer although they have better economical motives on ones they carry. As long as the customers asked for them.

Unlike a typical customer, I am divemastering with this LDS so I certainly would try to ensure that our relationship is favourable.

I don't feel any need to have a "relationship" with an LDS is necessary. It is their job to win my business, and not my job to earn their respect. If they wish to grant preferred customer status to people who spend thousands of dollars that is fine. However, if I wish to show up to class with suitable gear that I happened to purchase elsewhere, they have absolutely no right to give me grief for not using "their" brand.

I would try and talk to your LDS and see if they can order the things you want. I wish I would've had a LDS that let me know about my future in diving so I wouldn't have to replace things 2 or 3 times...
Like a carpenter says...measure twice, cut once...well, scuba is expensive enough as it is....don't scimp on gear if you REALLY are gonna be a diver...Buy once...
Just my 2PSI
K

The possibility of ordering something may be good. My main LDS is an authorized dealer for Scubapro, Dacor, Aqualung, Apex, Zeagle & a whole bunch more. Most major brands.

But, they can't keep everything on hand. They have some brands they sell more of, so that's what they stock. Lots of Scubapro, for example. But if I want fins from Aqualung that they don't have, they can get them without any problems.

This isn't true at all shops, but it is at some. So if you want something you don't see, ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom