LD shops, am I asking too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I picked out a new mask from my LDS that I've dealt with for years, tried it on in the store and it seemed to fit. My first opportunity, (the next week), I dove with it in the pool, with a reg. in my mouth and it leaked around the nose. After all adjustments i determined it was not a good fit so I returned to the same shop to exchange it for one that might fit better and was given a hard time.
Am I asking to much from my LDS??

Regards,

P.S. This comes on the heels of me sending him a buddy who spent $3400. cash on a drysuit and regs.

NO! As you said, you dove your mask in a pool, with a reg. What was the difference between getting fitted for mask and diving with mask. It's your reg, believe it or not but having a regulator in mouth causes your lips to take a different shape, and thus causes your mask not to fit like it did when you got fitted.

I would talk to the owner/manager and if they wouldn't work out an exchange/credit, etc. I would explain the financial ramifications to that decision.

My LDS is Scubatoys and they give a 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. For any reason you can bring an item back. I'm sure they hated it when my wife returned her Christmas gift a few years ago...old-stock dry suit, last one of that model. They gave a credit no problem. If you know anyone needing a ladies S/M dry suit ST has one on the rack for @ $400.

Talk to your shop and if they won't help you on something like a mask be sure they won't on a reg or BC. Maybe find a new LDS.

They should refund the mask. If they continue to "give you a hard time" then I would start looking for a new shop.

If you have only worn it in the pool, have not written your name on it and it is in clean condition, I would have exchanged it for a proper fitting mask. I would also invite you to one of my pool sessions to try it on so I could help, if needed.

I picked out a new mask from my LDS that I've dealt with for years, tried it on in the store and it seemed to fit. My first opportunity, (the next week), I dove with it in the pool, with a reg. in my mouth and it leaked around the nose. After all adjustments i determined it was not a good fit so I returned to the same shop to exchange it for one that might fit better and was given a hard time. Am I asking to much from my LDS??
No, as you describe the situation, you are not.

Obviously, there may be another 'side to the story', but given the events and timeline, unless the mask was somehow damaged when you returned it, it would seem reasonable for the shop to make an exchange - which is what you requested. We certainly would in our shop.

I agree with speaking directly with the owner. Don't threaten the owner with the possibility of losing your business, etc. That approach usually just tends to piss people off, and seldom produces a positive, mutually beneficial resolution. Rather, give the owner a chance to correct the situation. You shouldn't have to remind the owner of the amount of business you have done or brought in - it is the owner's job to remember.

If that doesn't produce satisfactory results, thank the owner for their time, and express disappointment that a reasonable resolution was not achieved, leave and don't go back.

If it does produce satisfactory results, thank the owner enthusiastically and continue to do business there. You will be viewed as a good customer.

Plus one for an exchange. Don't expect a refund. However, before you go off on the LDS too much, let's look at the "tried it on in the store and it seemed to fit." Line. If you did that independent of any employee suggestion or advice, it is different that if an LDS person assisted you and said - "That's a good fit." My local shop has a lot of walk in folks who "buy off the rack and are not always interested in any input from staff. They are not in the smae position as a customer who is helped by the staff or to whom the staff makes and endorsement or recommendation. Now, maybe the staff did assist you and confirm the fit. If they did, they are in the wrong and should exchange at value. If they did not help you, then you should be asking, not demanding, and exchange.
DivemasterDennis

Slightly germane plug:

I tried one of those $100+ Atomic masks on in Pan Aqua in NYC. It seemed to me that it fit and I said "I'll take it," but the shop guy told me it didn't fit my face properly. Good shop.

Ditto on the exchange. We offer a guaranteed fit. If they are smart they will take care of you.

I often cringe at hearing people complain about a business implicating the owner when the real no-service came from an employee. If it was the owner of the shop who gave you a hard time then I would be a little upset. If it was an employee hired by the LDS, I'd cut the owner some slack. The employee may just be acting on an assumption about what the return policy is and may not be in a position or have authorization to do an exchange. You may be placing the blame on the wrong doorstep.

I would take the mask back and deal with the owner directly. Explain the mask does not fit, that it was only used once in the pool, rinsed well etc., and can you return it for an exchange on another mask.

If you are a good customer they should bend over backwards to accommodate you, and given the amount of money I spend at my LDS including a new Atomic T3 reg recently I have absolutely no troubles with returns and often get compted free rental regulators for my daughter on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom