Layering, what is it worth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
So last night I was sorting out my gear ready for my first COLD dives in Northern California,

I have

1. New 7mm Wetsuit
2. New 3/6mm Hooded Vest (with Merino lining inside)
3. Rasher top (I have worn it under my 5mm wetsuit to keep warmer)
4. 2mm Shortie (no arms, no legs)

So I was thinking I COULD layer all these together for a bit more warmth than the 7mm and hooded vest would provide.

Is it worth it? Last night I tried them on (to check they'd fit) and I can wear

Rasher top first, then hooded vest over that, then 2mm shortie over both and then 7mm over the top of all that.

The only thing I'm really wondering is since the hooded vest has the Merino lining, should that be worn as the bottom layer in which case, should I ignore the rasher top completely.

Plus I guess will the 2mm Shortie actually add much warmth, or should I just skip that too?

Anyone have ideas?

Carefull, the layers might be too tight on your arms pits..?

If you have a good fitting wetsuit you shouldn't need to layer that much. All the layers are going to do for you is fill the gaps where the wetsuit doesn't fit properly. I never were anything under a wetsuit except swim trunks so I don't offend anyone when I'm changing into it on the side of the road. I say plenty warm with a good fitting suit.

JamesD:
1. New 7mm Wetsuit

Anyone have ideas?
I would expect the hooded vest and 7mm suit to be the best combination. Think about getting a 7mm hooded vest if that does not do it.

The benefit is from reduction in water leakage.

Adding thickness does little if the water is passing in and out of the suit easily. It can be counterproductive if the extra stuff interferes with blood flow.

Okay thanks,

The 7mm fits pretty good, I can get into all of it, but it definately makes for a tighter fit as a whole, I think I'll take it all, first dive I'll go with just 7mm and hood, and then later dives if required I'll add more stuff (if I notice gaps) and see what I can fill.

Fit is probably the most important thing. If the 7mm fits well, and does not allow a lot of water exchange from inside the suit, it should work fine. I find that a thin 1mm can work sometimes if the suit fits a little loose in some places, but otherwise, it really shouldn't be required. The other consideration also is that the more neoprene you add, the more of a buoyancy change you will see during a dive, as there's more buoyancy loss as it compresses.

I dive dry now but I did hundereds of dives in a 2 piece 7mm suit and was pleny warm in the water. The water temps where I dive most of the time is between 45 and 50 year rounds.

Layering can add some extra insulation but the magic is in blocking water flow.

Wear the hooded vest under the wetsuit (I assume were talking about a backzip full suit here) The vest will mute and leakage from the backzipper as well as effectively close off your neck opening. If you have good gasketed forearms and calves you should have a very nice suit for diving down into the 50s, YMMV.

As for the rasher, if it's a fabric garment leave it home, wet fabric will not insulate and will promote water migration in the suit.

The shortie will be too much of a good thing in terms of bulk and buoyancy.

If that does not do it then it's time to go dry.

Pete

JamesD:
So last night I was sorting out my gear ready for my first COLD dives in Northern California,

I have

1. New 7mm Wetsuit

So I was thinking I COULD layer all these together for a bit more warmth than the 7mm and hooded vest would provide.

Is it worth it? Last night I tried them on (to check they'd fit) and I can wear

Rasher top first, then hooded vest over that, then 2mm shortie over both and then 7mm over the top of all that.

The only thing I'm really wondering is since the hooded vest has the Merino lining, should that be worn as the bottom layer in which case, should I ignore the rasher top completely.

Plus I guess will the 2mm Shortie actually add much warmth, or should I just skip that too?

Anyone have ideas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom