Layering Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phipsi246

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a friend who would like to get in the water for 1 day but does not have a thick suit or access to one. Has anyone tried layering 2 3mm wetsuits together for a colder dive? I know the ideal situation would be to get a thicker suit or a drysuit but this is for a dive for 1 day in ~48F water. Please let me know if you have any experience with this.

I have done it with a full 3 and a shorty 3 but the water was in the 60s,I think they will be cold and miserable. They would definitely have to have a thick hood,gloves and boots to even think about it.

It would be really really pushing it but may be bearable for a short dive.

For most divers such a dive is doable in a 7mm wetsuit with 2X on the core. This includes a 7mm hood, 6-7mm booties and 5+mm gloves, The 2 3mm suits may be equal to the 7mm if they fit right but there won't be double coverage on the divers core and that will take a toll. Cold tolerance is hugely variable and your buddy could be fine or incapacitated in 10 minutes. Be sure it is a dive that allows for a prompt exit should he be having a hard time.

If a drysuit is available and she / he has the skills to use it safely the day is bound to be more enjoyable.

If he/she decides to go wet here are some considerations that may help.

Pete

Every year I start my local diving in PA out with my Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 5MM, Pinnacle Merino 5MM hood, Pinnacle Merino Apex 6MM boot, Pinnacle Merino Neo 4MM glove, and I add in the Pinnacle Spirit 3MM shorty. Went to buy a core-warmer last season but it's really a shorty with a tank top. This is great because I use the shorty on vacation. The Merino suit is very warm so I only do this for the first few dive. I do get a few looks as people think I'm going in with the shorty.

Hope that next year I will be in a new DUI dry suit.

i was in the watter in a 7mm simi dry wet suit last week and at a surface temp of 38 deg F i was fine for about 30 min or so at 55 feet and up i live in michagan so i have a pretty good resistance to the cold that was in Ohio

Thank you everyone. We ended up finding an extra 7mm suit and a 5mm hooded vest. He was comfortable until we ended up in 41F water. Drysuit seems to be in his future now.

Back
Top Bottom