Lauderdale by the Sea shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just came back from LBTS. Arrived July 2nd, got 1 mid day dive in due to later storms. July 3rd got 1 afternoon dives in and July 4th got a morning dive in and an afternoon dive.
The weather was pretty cloudy most of the weekend and light rains all tday the 3rd. Some thunderclaps kept out us of the water SAT and SUN.
What did we see??? Just about everything. Saw a nice bug nurse shark, a small turtle and tons of reef fish. Lots of bugs in the water in pairs. Saw a couple of queen angelfish for the first time here. Lots of grey and french angelfish. Quite large too. Saw a spider crab, pretty cool looking. Looks kinda like a tarantula with a crab shell. Incredible big cigar fish about 4-5 feet long. All in all, very enjoyable.
On Sat we watched a big nurse shark for about 15 minutes.

Tried out the new steel tanks. They are a beauty! I have A 120 and wife has an 80. Nice fills to 3600 psi. I am down to 8 pounds in weights now and wife in down to 14 from 22. She even dropped the leg weights. Maneuverability seems better and much easier access in and out of water.

Our bottom ranged from 2 hour 7 minutes wife had 1000 psi left) to 2 hours 30 minutes wihen the current and surge was stronger. Saturday we had a nice drift dive with the surge. Just went where the flow took us.

It was packed on the 4th but we got an early 8am dive in. Weather turned after that and we were out of the water until 5pm.

Monday we left about 11 am. Weather was black with lightning strikes so we headed home.

Great weekend diving. One thing though...why is it some divers have their heads up the a$%s? I generally go during the week and find most people we meet on shore dives pleasant and wanting to talk about what they saw. Instead this weekend we got some surly, abrupt divers who thought their poop didn't stink. Come on folks, the more of us who love the ocean, the better for the ocean and our fish friends. Get over yourself. You may have been diving the area for years but that doesn't make you any better than the rest of us visitors. Sorry for the rant but it chaps my backside.

Anyway, another great dive for Datura ave. We are fortunate to have such a great shore dive site within driving distance.

Check out the wife's dive blog www.danielle'sdives.wordpress.com for full dive details. She is loving all the new stuff she is learning about.

I am out of the water for a while due to business but hope to head to the keys the last week in July. Maybe I can twist the wife's arm to do a quick overnight trip before. LOL

Glad to hear your weekend turned out better than ours due to weather. We were gonna try LBTS on monday but decided to give pro dive out of ft lauderdale a shot 1pm dive... weather was horrible 4-5 ft seas and they still went out. we did a wreck n reef, wreck was nice but the reef sucked due to weather conditions.
Our dive on sunday afternoon to Sea Emperor got canceled due to weather.
We did have 2 really nice reef dives out of pompano sat morning with parrot island charter.

in all was a good weekend tho. I am hoping to do LBTS within the next few weeks maybe i'll catch ya out there. Sorry to hear about the locals! Let me assure you not everyone around here is like that, guess you could run into some assholes from time to time eh.

Oh i'll be puttin up some pics from our dives later if ya wanna check em out (cant now at work n internet sucks) Got em on my facebook tho facebook.com/zaixon

edit: sry for double post

Last edited:
I'm so glad you had great dives! I made a yak dive yesterday but we ascended to a squall, aye yi yi!!!

Just wondering about the "surly" beach divers, maybe they were too exhausted to talk? I heard about a beach dive this weekend that was waaaaaaaaay out there and included a long walk each way and maybe, just maybe they were totally exhausted. Just sayin'. I wasn't there.

I used to beach dive with a profoundly deaf guy (RIP) and people would try to talk to him and if he didn't actually see them, he could not reply. People were always saying really nasty things about him, "oh, that guy is sooooo rude, he won't speak to me" and I'd say "he's deaf!" and then they would feel bad.

Just came back from LBTS. Arrived July 2nd, got 1 mid day dive in due to later storms. July 3rd got 1 afternoon dives in and July 4th got a morning dive in and an afternoon dive.
The weather was pretty cloudy most of the weekend and light rains all tday the 3rd. Some thunderclaps kept out us of the water SAT and SUN.
What did we see??? Just about everything. Saw a nice bug nurse shark, a small turtle and tons of reef fish. Lots of bugs in the water in pairs. Saw a couple of queen angelfish for the first time here. Lots of grey and french angelfish. Quite large too. Saw a spider crab, pretty cool looking. Looks kinda like a tarantula with a crab shell. Incredible big cigar fish about 4-5 feet long. All in all, very enjoyable.
On Sat we watched a big nurse shark for about 15 minutes.

Tried out the new steel tanks. They are a beauty! I have A 120 and wife has an 80. Nice fills to 3600 psi. I am down to 8 pounds in weights now and wife in down to 14 from 22. She even dropped the leg weights. Maneuverability seems better and much easier access in and out of water.

Our bottom ranged from 2 hour 7 minutes wife had 1000 psi left) to 2 hours 30 minutes wihen the current and surge was stronger. Saturday we had a nice drift dive with the surge. Just went where the flow took us.

It was packed on the 4th but we got an early 8am dive in. Weather turned after that and we were out of the water until 5pm.

Monday we left about 11 am. Weather was black with lightning strikes so we headed home.

Great weekend diving. One thing though...why is it some divers have their heads up the a$%s? I generally go during the week and find most people we meet on shore dives pleasant and wanting to talk about what they saw. Instead this weekend we got some surly, abrupt divers who thought their poop didn't stink. Come on folks, the more of us who love the ocean, the better for the ocean and our fish friends. Get over yourself. You may have been diving the area for years but that doesn't make you any better than the rest of us visitors. Sorry for the rant but it chaps my backside.

Anyway, another great dive for Datura ave. We are fortunate to have such a great shore dive site within driving distance.

Check out the wife's dive blog www.danielle'sdives.wordpress.com for full dive details. She is loving all the new stuff she is learning about.

I am out of the water for a while due to business but hope to head to the keys the last week in July. Maybe I can twist the wife's arm to do a quick overnight trip before. LOL
(quick reply, am here at work)
Sorry to hear about the crappy divers.
Big hairy crab? Probably a hermit crab?
Cigar fish? Did it have irridescemt blue spots? If so it was a coronet fish. I know there were a couple out there a couple years ago. If it was brownish then it was a trumpetfish.

thanks for the info on the trumpetfish. that is what I am thinking. I am still checking out my software.
Hairt crab wife found was a spider reef crab. Really cool! Looks like it has tarantula legs and center body. it is not in a shell like a hermit.
On crappy divers. We have seen them at least 3 or 4 times this month. They are always a bit surly and rude. I gave them the benefit of the doubt the first three times. LOL.
Yesterday we hung around till about 11am hoping but it was getting worse and as we picked up our tanks at Gold Coast Divers it was ominous. We headed to 95 and watched the storm all the way north on the coast until Cocoa. Till next time. Maybe a day trip week after next but I am tied up with the store until July 21st or so.
Dang it!

And Deb sorry we missed BHB friday. we headed straight to LBTS

I'd be interested to know what group this is if you can find out. In about 30 years of beach diving SoFla, I can't remember ever meeting rude beach divers! Shy divers perhaps, but never outright rude. Especially a whole group, I find that to be very curious and now I'm nosy.

OTOH if I know I have a long walk back to the car with full gear, esp. if carrying a heavy goodie bag full of lobsters, if other people want me to stop and talk I can't, I just need to keep going. I'll tell them "you can chat if you'll walk with me, but I really need to keep going".

You missed a terrific day at BHB! I'll be back July 30.

LOL. I was kayak diving in that rain!! Not intentional, the storms rolled in while we were underwater...

That was one heck of a dive, eeek! And I found that I am missing half of one of my gear tiedown straps for my kayak. :depressed: Added to the missing stern tiedown strap for the car, it was a somewhat expensive dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom