Latex v Neoprene seals.. for starters....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeeShark

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a chance to order a diving concepts PRO 650HD or Pinnacle Series at a really great price. I'm having trouble researching the latex vs neoprene seals. It seems like latex is the majority out there. Any particular reason why?

Benefits/issues with a cuff dump design or a variable exhaust valve?
Thanks!

I have used both neoprene and prefer latex since it is less likely to leak. Others do not like the hang mans mark on the neck that one will sometimes get with latex. Often it is caused by the seal sliding around either because it is too loose or binding.

Now if you are allergic to latex then that is a good reason to use neoprene.

Even a cuff dump uses a variable exhaust valve. I prefer cuff dump, but just switched back to a shoulder dump, which is probably why I am not as fond of it as I should be. The cuff dump is much easier to dump while on the trigger of a scooter, by just throwing your arm back. I did not have to break trim at all.

I would say there probably is a reason most suits are built with the exhaust valve installed in the shoulder area, and would just use it that way.

I prefer Neo. seals, they are warmer and stronger IMHO. But have dove both....To each his own....

I prefer the latex seals because I find they give me a better seal.

I have only done one dive in a suit with the cuff dump, and I liked it a lot. It seemed easier to get my body in a position where dumping was simple; however the shoulder dump is still really easy to use.

First, regarding cuff dump versus shoulder dump, I found the cuff dump very irritating, because it often dumped gas when I needed to do something with my left hand. It is easier to keep the shoulder down and prevent unintentional dumping from a shoulder vent. Cuff dumps come in two types, and one is not variable. I have heard that those tend to get clogged with debris and leak. I do not know this from personal experience.

A properly located shoulder dump valve is very easy to use, and requires only a slight roll of the body or an extension of the shoulder to vent. I can do it while using a scooter AND keeping my light out in front of me. However, if the valve is poorly sited, it can be a major PITA to get gas out of the suit. You do NOT want the valve on the front of the arm, or on the chest!

I have used both neoprene and latex seals. Neoprene wrist seals have the disadvantage that most dry glove systems will not work with them. Neoprene neck seals have many advantages -- they are softer, warmer, and can be repaired. They do tend to leak a bit more, and they do stretch over time (but can be wedged out and resized at least once as they do). I was warned that they don't work as well for women, because the ratio of our head diameter to neck diameter is much greater than for men, and it proved to be true. A seal small enough not to leak was extremely difficult to get over my head; once it was easy to get on, it leaked like a sieve. I'm back with latex now.

Like TSandM said, a neoprene seal can be glued back together if you tear it, a letex seal can not, you have to change it out.

I got around the neck seal problem by getting a suit with an attached hood. It is also warmer than a typical pull on hood. The hood seals at the face and you can cut the neck seal a little larger so it is comfortable.

With the wrist seals I would go latex and use a dry glove attachement system like the Viking Bayonet rings. Why dive dry with wet hands? It's cheeper to get the whole kit in one purchase than to peice it together over a long period.

I have used both, and have Latex on my wrists and neoprene on my neck. The problem with the neprene (I find) is that the amount of pressure it applies vs. the surface area in giving a positive seal, buts pressure on my carotid artery causing headaches and neck pain. I am considering swapping back to latex. To be fair, neoprene at the neck does not leak, but at what cost...I don't want to black-out underwater.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages which have been well stated in the previous posts. I have suits with neoprene and latex,but the one thing I like about the neoprene seals is their durability. I run out of fingers counting the dives that have been ruined because a friend put on his drysuit only to have their latex seal rip,and have no other exposure protection. Neoprene will stretch out over time,but will still offer some sealing,and can be tightened up quickly with an xacto knife and glue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom