Latex socks under wetsuit boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are her dimensions? I have a few 2XS/XS Aqualung Fusions I'm looking to get rid of for $600. Might be a solid choice and something that will fit her a few years or more.

:rofl3:

She inherited my (I'm 6'-7") genetics... at 16, she is 5'-10", and because of competitive swimming, has shoulders like a linebacker.....

In California I used to wear 5mm booties with 3 mm socks, when I moved to warm water I had to buy smaller fins!

Thanks everyone.

A poster named Badger had this to say in a stand up paddle forum:

I have Reynaud's Syndrome. My hands get cold very easily even in summer. I still paddle surf and flatwater all winter. Here's what helps.

This is if you're wearing neoprene gloves or mitts. Before you leave the house fill a one gallon plastic jug with hot water. It will stay warm for quite a while. Just before you launch, pour the warm water into your gloves/mitts and put them on while they are full of the warm water. As long as you are wearing the right thickness of neoprene for the conditions, your hands should stay warm. Same goes for your boots.

That is really helpful, I'll definitely try that, thank you!

The best option would be to wear something thicker under your current boots. Like other recommended, the 2mm socks. The problem with what you're looking at is all it will do is keep your foot dry. There is zero warmth or anything added, so it does nothing. Your blood still gets cold, you need to shield more from the coldwater. If you had a sock under that, then it would be dry, and a warm barrier. If you are going to stay wet, you need more insulation. If going dry, you also have to add something that will warm it up, latex is think, and the water is on the other side.

Stick your hand in a ziplock bag, and put it in cold water. Your hand is dry, but still cold :wink: Put your hand in a glove, then ziplock and water, and it's now warm.

hope that helps. Yes, it might be time for a drysuit, if you are just trying to get thru the weekend, some neoprene socks will help, as well as what Trace recommended with hot water. You can add some more as needed inbetween dives if you have it in a thermos.

Thanks for that great explanation, I can see now I was focusing on the wrong thing... the ziplock bag example illustrates that well! I have bought some 2mm socks that fit really well, and some little disposable handwarmers for surface intervals - hopefully that combined with the Thermos trick will get me through it! :)

Thanks again all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom