Latex seal life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

Just curious - how many dives / years are you getting out of your latex seals? My wrist seals have about 150 dives on them and are looking a bit... tired. They are stretched over Viking cuff rings though, and I'm sure that's aged them quicker than they would otherwise. Going to switch to the HD Latex seals when I have these replaced... that should help?

Thanks!

-B

Dry glove rings will definitely reduce the life of your seals.

On the whole I usually get about 200-odd dives out of them with rings on but I'm not particularly careful with them either.

R..

Brandon, I have gotten 5 years out of the heavy duty Dui seals fuel or body oils usually cause them to get sticky and failing or they get so many surface cracks I replace them. They are the best I have seen but I am currently using the Bare seals from leisurepro.com that are $25 and almost as thick. They are a long taper and accomodate dry gloves very well. Dont hesitate to replace your own seals as it is not that hard unless you can get a fair deal from the LDS which I guess you have. If you order under $100 from LP the shipping will be reasonable (USPS) to AK. I hate paying $30 for UPS second day when it takes 5 days to my house which is the same as USPS. Rinse and dry and talc your seals (unscented from the pharmacy or ebay etc). I dont use silicone anymore as it can attack your seals. What kind of suit are you diving and do or can you replace the gloves with those of your choosing instead of buying from viking?

Back
Top Bottom